Mac Users - DO NOT BUY!

Post your feedback here
K5EWR

Mac Users - DO NOT BUY!

Post by K5EWR » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:51 am

Be aware that there is NO software that will enable this device to operate as shown in all the fluff pieces. They are all run on Microsoftie junk. Only buy it if you are a linux guru and enjoy pain.
Last edited by K5EWR on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

jon

Re: Mac Users - DO NOT BUY!

Post by jon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:27 am

Dear K5EWR,

We are sorry you are unhappy and if you have had your RSP for less than 14 days we at SDR play can off you a full refund if you return the product to SDRplay. Please email steve.brightman@sdrplay.com.. to make arrangements if you are returning it within the USA. We accept that there are problems with the Mac environment – just getting the Mac port of the gr-osmosdr to compile is a challenge (independent of which SDR radio product you are using) - just to be clear, we at SDRplay support our published API and as yet do not provide any Mac specific plug-ins and we don’t promote any links to Mac SDR software. We are continuing to work seriously with gr-osmosdr to try to get something which people find more stable and usable but we are not there yet. Meanwhile, apart from the ‘gurus’ you refer to, most Mac users today run windows software in conjunction with Parallels or similar in order to get going quickly with the RSP

Best regards, Jon, SDRplay Marketing

SPole

Post by SPole » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:16 pm

Actually I have not had the same experience. I should say that I run Boot Camp with Windows 7 64bit. Frankly there is nothing like running windows on my Mac Mini. The hardware is bulletproof and Windows does run native. I use all three SDR software tuner packages with the SDR-Play unit it is just remarkable. For the cost of a Windows OS package you can indeed use an SDR-Play device.
Last edited by SPole on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:54 am

I think some people are just anti-MS and come here to grind their axe!
Last edited by g1hbe on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Andy

dc1rdb

Post by dc1rdb » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:11 pm

@K5EWR and all,
it looks like as of today, we have a native Mac OS X application that supports SDRPlay! Check out https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR/issues/144 It may still involve some local building procedures, but I'm confident that the creator of CubicSDR will come up with a pre-built binary very soon.
I just did some initial testing on my iMac (10.9.5) and CubicSDR performs very smooth with SDRPlay.
Last edited by dc1rdb on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

F1BJB

Post by F1BJB » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:33 pm

That's the main advantage with MACs :
Each time you buy a piece of hardware not supported you have no problems to sell it to somone else :D
Last edited by F1BJB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.