New User Blues

Post your feedback here
KG4FUM

New User Blues

Post by KG4FUM » Wed May 11, 2016 2:14 pm

I just got the SDR Play from HRO and have it working on a WIndows 7 laptop.
I followed the setup procedure by Mike Ladd.
I have a screen grab with it tunned into a local fm radio station.
SDRPlay.jpg
SDRPlay.jpg (169.9 KiB) Viewed 9290 times
I am completely new to this type of radio system.
In the past all I had to know was the frequency and offset to program a HT.
Any help or directs to user guides will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
KG4FUM
Last edited by KG4FUM on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

jon

Re: New User Blues

Post by jon » Wed May 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi KG4FUM, don't worry - it will take a short while to get on top of this and then you'll never look back!

On a traditional radio you typically have default settings which take care of things (like LSB below 10MHz, USB above and so on) A ham rig typically only ever had 3KHz filters for narrow band voice and so on. Because the SDR can operate over a vast frequency range, support so many modes AND give spectral visibility of a lot more than just the window you want to process, then it's easy to end up with settings which just don't do anything useful!

I think what's happened here is you are homing in on a tiny portion within the wideband FM broadcast signal. So in HDSDR, click on 'Bandwidth' and select the widest possible input bandwidth (192000) and you should suddenly hear the FM station. Make sure your gain reduction is set at something like 50dB or you will overload the radio.

I strongly recommend joining the Facebook group on https://www.facebook.com/groups/sdrplay/ where you can get fast and knowledgeable help from other users (this site waits for a moderator to approve posts which adds delay) - also we have Steve on support-usa@sdrplay.com in your time zone who can also provide more help if needed.

Let us know how you get on. 73, Jon (SDRplay)
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason