Issue when switching on LNA

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
mark.

Issue when switching on LNA

Post by mark. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:47 pm

I have an RSP1. I don't use the RF AGC feature. When I enable LNA my IF gain reduction slider changes automatically. So I find I always have to manually slide it back where it was. Is it just me or do others find this annoying.

Reason: No reason

NoelC

Re: Issue when switching on LNA

Post by NoelC » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:16 am

I have to say, I expected it to just boost the signals and stay where it was when I first noticed that behavior. And yes, it's mildly disconcerting that it kind of tries to hide the results of your choice. :-) That being said, it's something I've gotten used to and now expect.

My trouble is that enabling the LNA (on my RSP-1) causes all kinds of extra spurious false signals (I think they're MW stations) all over everywhere unless I'm way up in the HF frequencies (e.g., above 25 MHz). I'm thinking my antenna is just strong for shortwave stuff without the LNA on. However, up in VHF and UHF the LNA is a requirement for any kind of decent reception.

-Noel

mark.

Re: Issue when switching on LNA

Post by mark. » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 pm

I live close to a few powerhouse AM and FM transmitters. One of these days I have to build some filters. I found I don't need the LNA below 25mhz. But when I do use the LNA for 10-11 meters I start to see images of the commercial FM signals.