1.3 installation

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
Patrick73

1.3 installation

Post by Patrick73 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:05 am

Hi there !

I just downloaded v1.3. Congrats on the new release.
Is it possible to install this version without losing the current settings (workspaces, filters parameters, colors, etc) or will one have to almost start from scratch and re-set everything ?

Thanks for help and support.

Have a nice day,
Pat

Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: 1.3 installation

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello Patrick,
I am afraid not. All settings are saved in a .ini file and the settings are now device dependent, so this is a completely different approach to when the setting were saved in the registry.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks a lot Tech_Support.
OK, so it means all my current WorkSpaces will be lost and I will have start from scratch except for the memory banks. But from what I understand, this will not happen next time a new version is released. Good news, it will at least save 1h or 2 !

BTW, another question : as I plan to also install the new 3.02 API and the ExtIO plugin 1.1 for my RSPduo, is there a mandatory sequence for the different installations ? (i.e Uno 1.3 first, then the new API, etc).

cmh31909

Post by cmh31909 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm

I don't really understand why it would be that hard for them to write a migrator that would read the registry and then write out an ini file.
This does not make for a very good user experience.
Last edited by cmh31909 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Hello Patrick,
There is no mandatory sequence. Installing SDRuno will install the new API anyway.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Hello cmh31909,
There Is no way to do what you ask. The new way of saving settings maps all settings to a specific device unless it is a RSP1. So if you have two RSP2s and use them for different things with SDRuno with different settings, the .ini file will preserve settings for a specific device. Mapping generic registry settings to this new methodology is simply not possible.
Previously, almost all updates required a update to the registry and now with this method, this will no longer be the case. You will be able to back up your settings and move them to a different PC if you want. Future updates to SDRuno will no longer mean losing settings.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:27 pm

Fine ! I thought it was necessary to install the new API.

The introduction text to 1.3 says : "users that also used other applications such as dump1090 and HDSDR with the previous version of the Windows Service based API (3.01) will need to download and install the latest versions of API". It means to me that the new release won't install the new API automatically. But maybe my english is too bad to properly understand the meaning of the text. Sorry if so.

To cmh31909 : it was possible with Studio 1 ("former" SDRuno version) to do this, using a registry key. 5 minutes and it was done.
I was surprised when I was told this tip was not available any longer.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:00 pm

cmh31909 wrote:I don't really understand why it would be that hard for them to write a migrator that would read the registry and then write out an ini file.
This does not make for a very good user experience.
The compressed encrypted binary format that was used in the registry settings was never designed to be either modified or copied by the original author, in fact it was most likely the opposite intention. As part of the move to cross platform, we have moved to an ini file and not only that, we also spent quite some time making all of the settings in the ini file humanly readable so that this incompatibility during version upgrades doesn't happen again.

Best regards,

Andy