Feedback for version 0.9a here

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
SteveAndrew

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:18 pm

bobh2k wrote:Centre Frequency step size is always 1MHz regardless of span size i.e. with a span of 200kHz the centre frequency always increases and decreases in 1MHz increments using the up/down control but it changes in 2MHz steps when using the scroll wheel. The only way around this is to enter the exact frequency by keypad.
The centre frequency control did not get a lot of attention in this release, as it's more a proof-of-concept than anything else. I plan to use a similar sort of frequency entry similar to that used with SRDuno. The mouse scroll wheel frequency step will be scaled according to selected sweep width, perhaps with an optional Hz-per-click option available. In addition, the scroll wheel will be used to adjust frequency when the mouse cursor is positioned in the spectrum or waterfall display areas, again, with frequency step being scaled according to sweep width. A similar problem will be found with the frequency setting and step control for the tracking generator as well. In any case,thanks for the feedback, these are the sorts of things I need to hear.

Reason: No reason

orrinwinton

Post by orrinwinton » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks for this app!

One very minor issue: the installation did not create an icon on my Win10 desktop, and Search did not find the app. As i went on to re-install it, i notice the install-location, so i cancelled the re-install, went to that folder location, and made a shortcut to put on my desktop.

Works great with my RSP1.

Orrin WN1Z in NE Calif.
Last edited by orrinwinton on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 am

1. Great job Steve (please do not permutate last two words...)
2. No problem with installer (win7 here)
3. give new life to my rsp1
4. I tested just five min, clicking here an there with no problem

Now a couple of thing out of scope of this thread.
5. since this great sw bring the power of a spectrum analyzer to people like me
who never thought to afford the cost of a s.a. (nor "branded" nor "chinese" one)
it would be nice an application guide explaining 2 or 3 measure you can do with a s.a.
Any volunteer in the forum? I volunteer for the monkey-test...

6. since you show signal also on waterfall, can you put "cursor" functionality even on
waterfall so you can also measure delta in the time domain? (maybe after pausing the screen)
(if it is already there or it unfeasible please forgive my ignorance...).

Bye
gio

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:00 am

Steve, thank you very much for the effort making this fantastic S.A. app!

On my PC with Windows 10 (64 bits) no problems with installing the app.

I saw your app just on the moment that I was working on a design of a scalar network analyzer with AD9851 generator and AD8307 detector, controlled by a Arduino UNO (rev.3).
So I like to give this tracking generator a try by your Trackgen firmware DDS_tracking.hex. I have read in your s.a. manual that you have created this hex file for an Arduino 2560.
Does the Arduino UNO accept this hex code too without damaging the UNO-board?

I never have uploaded a hex file into an Arduino board, because the Arduino IDE is doing that automatically as I have understood.
Do you have a simple method to fix this?
Otherwise if there is an INO file (sketch), then it might be possible to re-write (if needed) it for an Arduino UNO (or Nano) board as well?

Good luck with your developments.

Kind Regards
Last edited by Kees_01 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:18 am

orrinwinton wrote: One very minor issue: the installation did not create an icon on my Win10 desktop, and Search did not find the app. As i went on to re-install it, i notice the install-location, so i cancelled the re-install, went to that folder location, and made a shortcut to put on my desktop.
Orrin WN1Z in NE Calif.
I've just deleted my installed analyser, downloaded it again, and re-installed it. Desktop shortcuts have been created for the analyser and the PDF instruction manual. Start menu shows shortcuts for the analyser, instruction manual and release notes. I cannot see anything wrong.

Has anybody else experienced a similar problem ?

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:33 am

CaptainNemo wrote:it would be nice an application guide explaining 2 or 3 measure you can do with a s.a.
Any volunteer in the forum? I volunteer for the monkey-test...

6. since you show signal also on waterfall, can you put "cursor" functionality even on
waterfall so you can also measure delta in the time domain? (maybe after pausing the screen)
The next version's instruction manual will include examples of measurements that can be made using a spectrum analyser. Hopefully this will include photos of the hardware setup, and screenshots showing the results. In the meantime, this link gives a good introduction to basic measurements that can be made.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/t ... alyzer.php

It looks as if the tutorial is for an analogue analyser, but most of the basic principals will be the same. Phil, VK7JJ, and Captain Nemo have already started to use the analyser in a practical application, and have posted some screen shots on the forum.

https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... =12&t=3323 -

Perhaps they can be persuaded to let us know a little more about what they were doing :)

Waterfall cursor-base measurements are planned for the next release.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:01 am

Kees_01 wrote:I saw your app just on the moment that I was working on a design of a scalar network analyzer with AD9851 generator and AD8307 detector, controlled by a Arduino UNO (rev.3).
So I like to give this tracking generator a try by your Trackgen firmware DDS_tracking.hex. I have read in your s.a. manual that you have created this hex file for an Arduino 2560.
Does the Arduino UNO accept this hex code too without damaging the UNO-board?
It should run on an Arduino Uno board but you will have to edit the pin numbers that control the DDS, as the default numbers I've used for the Arduino Mega 2560 are beyond the range offered by the UNO. It is easy to change the pin numbers. You can use the analyser to edit the numbers if the Arduino is connected. Or you can edit the pin numbers directly if you are able to connect to the UNO via the serial comms link provide in the Arduino IDE - You will need to set the Baud rate to 115,200 Baud. Information on the Trackgen control commands are included in the instruction manual.
Kees_01 wrote:I never have uploaded a hex file into an Arduino board, because the Arduino IDE is doing that automatically as I have understood.
Do you have a simple method to fix this?
Otherwise if there is an INO file (sketch), then it might be possible to re-write (if needed) it for an Arduino UNO (or Nano) board as well?
It appears that you cannot use the Arduino IDE to upload a HEX file to the Arduino, but there is a way to work around this. This link shows how it can be done.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=410618.0

Unfortunately I am not able to release the source code for the Trackgen firmware. Let me know if you have problems editing the pin numbers once you have established communication with the Trackgen firmware, or if you need further help.

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your info.
From your link how to upload a Hex file only the Xloader (from http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/arduino-xloader) worked.
During uploading of DDS_Tracking.hex the RX- and TX LED on the UNO board were flashing a few seconds, so I suppose the HEX file is uploaded. The PIN 13 LED is continuously ON (on my DDS 9851 board this pin is connected to W_Clk). The Xloader app showed that 9550 bytes were uploaded.
Then I started your SAS Spectrum Analyser app and in the Tracking Generator field all buttons are greyed out except the COM port.
Then I went to Options and edited the 4 fields for the Arduino UNO pins.
I have to remark that if a pin number has only one digit (e.g. pin 9) then I had to fill that up as 09 (preceded with a zero). Otherwise an underscore in that box remains visible. And it leads to a Windows error (it is in Dutch). So I typed 09 and clicked on Apply and Close to close the Options window.
I have checked the PC Device Manager for the COM port properties. It is 115200 Baud, Databits 8, No parity and Stopbit 1.
I went back to the S.A. app and all buttons in the Tracking Generator field are still greyed out except the COM port. If I choose again the right COM port, I see the RX LED of the UNO board flashing once.
B.t.w. if I open the Options window again then I see "9_" in the box, which I had typed as 09. As soon as I clear that box then the same Windows error as described above appears again. It says it is an "unprocessed exception" error. I then can select Continue or Close. If I close then the S.A. app is closed. With Continue the Error warning box closes and the S.A. app is still running. Only a Comms port can be selected. Nothing else.
The SQUARE indicator is still RED so I think the Trackgen firmware is not running.
Perhaps this info may help you.

Regards,
Kees_01

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 am

Kees_01 wrote:From your link how to upload a Hex file only the Xloader (from http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/arduino-xloader) worked.
During uploading of DDS_Tracking.hex the RX- and TX LED on the UNO board were flashing a few seconds, so I suppose the HEX file is uploaded. The PIN 13 LED is continuously ON (on my DDS 9851 board this pin is connected to W_Clk). The Xloader app showed that 9550 bytes were uploaded.
Thank you for the link. That's a useful tool to have, and a lot easier than using AVRDude. It looks as if the HEX file has been successfully uploaded.

Trackgen firmware is detected by the analyser sending "TRACKGEN?" every time a comms port is selected, and waits to receive "TrackGenPresent" from the Arduino. If this is received then the box turns green, the Enable button is activated and the Trackgen version is displayed in the text box at the bottom of the controls group.

I have noticed some odd behavior with the comms system. If the Analyser is run and the comms port is selected, the Arduino does not always seem to detect in-coming comms from the analyser. If I then launch the Arduino IDE, or Visual Studio, and use the terminal window, I have no problems communicating with the Trackgen software. If I then re-launch the analyser, the comms system works, and communications is established. I'll look into this.

I suggest that you use the terminal window in the Arduino IDE initially. This will allow you to confirm that the firmware is installed and running, and will allow you to edit the pin numbers. There is a section at the end of the instruction manual that covers the command set you can use to run Trackgen.

The pin edit buttons will have no effect as the pin numbers are sent directly to the Arduino when the Apply button is pressed. The numbers are displayed for your information only. If there is no comms established, then the pin number updates will not take affect, although they are stored in the settings INI file. If you edit the INI file directly, then the displayed pin numbers will show the edited number, but they will not be sent to the Arduino unless the Apply button is pressed. If any changes are made in the options dialogue, such a colours, or language, the Apply button will be enabled. Every time the Apply button is pressed, the new settings are saved to the INI file, and the pin numbers are sent to the Arduino, even if none of them have been changed. Pressing the Get Pins button will cause the Arduino to send a list of the current pin settings, and these will displayed in the box at the bottom of the Tracking generator control group.

There is a problem with the pin edit boxes. If you clear the box, you will get an exception error. The underscore lines are placeholders provided by the control. As long as a number, even if it's a single digit is entered, then you should not get an exception error. This problem will be fixed in the next release.

As a general note, in the Tracking generator control group, the Step-KHz control does not allow values smaller than 0.1KHz per step to be entered. This will be changed for the next release.

If you are still having problems after trying communicating directly by using the Arduino IDE, please let me know.

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:48 am

Thank you for your extended explanation and understood it.

I temporarily have uncoupled my SPR2 Pro by pulling out its USB cable (to make sure there is no communication than only to my Arduino UNO). Then I launched Arduino IDE (Arduino 1.8.5) and pressed its Serial Monitor button. Then below in the opened IDE window in a dialogue box I selected (from the options No termination, New Line, Carriage return, Carriage return New Line) New Line. Furthermore I selected the Baudrate to 115200.
Then on top of the IDE window I typed one of the commands from your list in the s.a. manual. I ended by pressing the Transmit button in the IDE window.
The only thing what happened is the RX LED of the Arduino UNO flashing one time. And nothing is returned to the IDE window.
I have also tried to input with capital letters or selecting Carriage return, or Carriage return+ New line. That did not help.
Perhaps this info helps.