Feedback for version 0.9a here

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
SteveAndrew

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:55 am

Kees_01 wrote:I temporarily have uncoupled my SPR2 Pro by pulling out its USB cable (to make sure there is no communication than only to my Arduino UNO). Then I launched Arduino IDE (Arduino 1.8.5) and pressed its Serial Monitor button. Then below in the opened IDE window in a dialogue box I selected (from the options No termination, New Line, Carriage return, Carriage return New Line) New Line. Furthermore I selected the Baudrate to 115200.
I've attached a simple sketch for you to try on your Arduino Uno. It uses parts of the basic comms routine from the Trackgen software.
ArduinoUnoCommsTest.zip
(962 Bytes) Downloaded 847 times
Try it, and let me know how it goes. As mentioned, I do not have an Arduino Uno here to test code on, but I cannot see why Trackgen should not work.

Good luck...

Reason: No reason

NK7Z

Post by NK7Z » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I was showing a friend in the communications business the Spectrum Analyser, and his first question was, is there a way to hear the signal? I did not find a demod, did I miss it?

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi Steve,

I have tested ArduinUnoCommsTest (with Arduino IDE version 1.8.5) and this program works perfectly!

This remark from your program is applicable:
"// If comms is working correctly, you should receive "Trackgen V1.0" immediately without the 5 second delay."

So Comms is working correctly with my Arduino UNO!

When I send Version without any terminating character then after 5 second Trackgen V1.0 is returned
When I send Version with a "carriage return" or "newline+carriage return" then nothing is returned
When I send Version with a "newline" then Trackgen V1.0 is, as said, returned immediately.

This was a useful step.

Kees
Last edited by Kees_01 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi Steve,

Some additional information. With a still uncoupled, not connected RSP I launched your SAS s.a. app. After clicking OK on the message "No RSP found" then the SAS s.a. app started to run. In the Tracking Generator Control section I selected the right Com port and the red SQUARE turned green immedeately, the Enable button "enabled" and the message "Trackgen V1.0" appeared in the textbox. Pressing the ENABLE button did activate the "Track", "SPOT" and "GET PINS" button as well as the DDS-, STEP- and Frequency selection. The START and Calibrate buttons still greyed out.
All these conditions are obtained with your ArduinUnoCommsTest sketch loaded into my Arduin UNO.

Kees
Last edited by Kees_01 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

G4HPW

Post by G4HPW » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:45 pm

NK7Z wrote:I was showing a friend in the communications business the Spectrum Analyser, and his first question was, is there a way to hear the signal? I did not find a demod, did I miss it?
No you have not missed it, there is no listen function in this version.

Why not just run the receive software of your choice if you want to listen to the signal.

In my experience of using spectrum analysers professionally for many years, they are on the whole not very good at providing a receive capability.

Communication service monitors which have a receiver running along side a spectrum display amoung other functions are best at this.
Last edited by G4HPW on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

maccountrypilot

Post by maccountrypilot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:21 pm

OK ... I loaded the spectrum analyzer .... it seems to interfere with UNO. What am I doing wrong
Last edited by maccountrypilot on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:59 pm

maccountrypilot wrote:OK ... I loaded the spectrum analyzer .... it seems to interfere with UNO. What am I doing wrong
I'd be happy to try and help you, but some information is needed first. Can you explain in a little more detail what you mean by "interferes with UNO" ?

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:26 am

NK7Z wrote:I was showing a friend in the communications business the Spectrum Analyser, and his first question was, is there a way to hear the signal? I did not find a demod, did I miss it?
No, you didn't miss it. Currently there is no demodulation provided, this is covered in the release notes. Demodulation is on the ToDo list but only in relation to modulation analysis, and in terms of priority, is someway down the list. It will happen, but there are several other items to be addressed first, and I doubt it will be available in the first beta release. As mentioned by G4HPW, spectrum analysers generally do not make good receivers. Having said that, some form of audio monitoring would off course be useful, and it will happen - eventually.

maccountrypilot

Post by maccountrypilot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:27 am

well uno will not load when the spectrum analyzer tries to run .... it says there is no rsp present
Last edited by maccountrypilot on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:31 am

Kees_01 wrote:I have tested ArduinUnoCommsTest (with Arduino IDE version 1.8.5) and this program works perfectly!
Good, at least we know the Uno will work. That is a major question answered.