Detector types?

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
chrisrsmorriss

Detector types?

Post by chrisrsmorriss » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:06 am

Forgive me if this has already been answered, as I only received my RSP2 pro yesterday, and loaded up the Spectrum Analyser s/w this morning!

Having both the output from a peak and an average detector is almost mandatory. A quasi-peak detector might well be rather more difficult.
The ability to set the bandwidth of the detector would be very useful if (as a design engineer in a small company) I would wish to use this to do a quick pre-compliance check on the conducted emissions output (from a LISN through a limiter/attenuator) before going to an EMC test house.

I await further updates to the s/w with interest. It is a remarkable bit of work already!

Regards,
Chris Morriss
Last edited by chrisrsmorriss on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew

Re: Detector types?

Post by SteveAndrew » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:05 am

chrisrsmorriss wrote:Having both the output from a peak and an average detector is almost mandatory. A quasi-peak detector might well be rather more difficult.The ability to set the bandwidth of the detector would be very useful
This is something that has been raised before. The original software was really released more as a proof of concept, rather than an alpha or beta version of what would then be a final release. That is why feedback like this is invaluable. Due to the feedback I've already received, there are quiet a few changes to be made before the next release. Using the analyser for pre-compliance testing is an obvious and useful application, but one that will require some thought as it is not so straightforward as it first appears.
chrisrsmorriss wrote:I await further updates to the s/w with interest. It is a remarkable bit of work already!
Thank you for your kind words Chris. Re-writing is already under way, but I cannot give any indication of when the update version might be available - I guess it's a case of watch this space.

Reason: No reason