Feedback for version 1.0a here

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
SteveAndrew

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:48 am

ja8scd wrote: RSPduo:
1) spurts at 24MHz x n are so conspicuous compared to those observed with RSP1A and RSP2.
Also, noise floor of RSPduo seems quite noisy. Is there any reason you can think of, or is this totally dependent on the RSPduo hardware?
2) As the default, the BC/FM and DAB are enabled although those button ares not inverted. By clicking them twice respectively, the filters will be removed.

Best regards,

Yas - JA8SCD Tokyo
1) - I think you should contact Tech Support regarding the spurious output and higher noise floor of the RSPduo. I also get a slightly higher noise floor with the RSPduo.

2) - BC/FM and DAB buttons: At startup, the buttons are (should be) grey or un-selected, and the filters are disabled. Clicking on a filter button should turn the button blue and enable the filter. I've just checked that operation here and it all seems OK. I'll do some further checking and see if I can get the same error you are getting.

Steve

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:55 am

fastputt wrote:I have one problem: I use windows 7 pro and your program loaded without problem and works great to the extent I can use it. However, the Control Panel does not load completely. Everything to the right of the word "frequency' is missing straight down the entire panel. Please tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it. I tried reloading the program twice with same result. Never had this happen before.

Thank you in advance for your help. 73, Dale K8ETI
There is nothing you could do that would cause that. The analyser size at launch is 1286x754. Is this within your screen resolution ? Does the analyser fit within your display vertically ?

Steve

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:06 am

respero wrote:One feature that would be nice for a future release is a resolution bandwidth (RBW) annunciator.

I'm not seeing the expected "processing loss" from none-blackmann.png windowing: Noise level for Blackman (yellow) is 1 dB above None (white) , expect 2.38 dB from the factor of 1.73 bandwidth penalty for the Blackman window.
RBW may be on the update list.
WIndowing: I'll look into this and post when I have a result.

Steve

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:16 am

nixiefreqq wrote:only suggestion would be the addition of "sweeps per second" display. this would help when fiddling with the step rate on the signal generator.

attached are some return loss sweeps of a homebrew 222Mhz ground plane vertical on the "indoor range".
It may be possible to add a "sweeps per second" display, but possibly not in this release.

Very nice screen shots. It's always nice to see somebody getting some practical use from the analyser.

Steve

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 am

K9AQ wrote:Steve
I am struggling with the functionality of the markers. This is not as easy to use as the "cursors" were in your first release. Using the enable peaks functions helps, but sometimes I would just like to quickly point to the crest of a peak and put a marker there.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Don
K9AQ
HI Don
I think I may have responded to another post from you regarding the difficulty of placing markers when they are following the signal level. I know you said that you were using the peak markers to locate a marker to the required peak. I agree, there are times when it would be nice to just drop a marker on the screen at any location and have it stay there without tracking signal amplitude. I'm looking at providing an option for each marker to float, or track amplitude for this release as it does seem as if it might be a problem.

Steve

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:37 am

K9AQ wrote:I have found that it can take a lot of time for the peaks to calculate the frequency and db difference. I have seen it take over a minute. Is that normal? I running the software on an older laptop so that my be the problem.

I just used the software to see what the harmonics look like on my dual LDMOS amplifier. This screen snapshot shows the harmonics out of the PA pallet running 1.5KW, with no low pass filter. You can see that the second harmonic is down 31db and the 3rd is down 13.8. This is about what I would expect. My diplexer will easily reduce these to the FCC requirements.

Thanks again!

Don
K9AQ
https://www.sdrplay.com/community/downl ... ew&id=1609
Hi Don
Frequency and dB difference: Are you talking about the peak find function, or the marker maths results ? Either way, they are both pretty quick. That seems very odd - The marker maths functions are simple A-B=C types of calculation. The peak find is a little more complex but would only take a fraction of the time of that taken by the FFT functions. If your laptop is handling the spectrum display then I see no reason for it to fall over on freq/dB calculations.

Steve

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 am

Hi Steve,

Compliments for the excellent work! I am already using it daily. One problem, though: I am unable to switch from RAW to AVG. The AVG mode never starts....Any suggestion?

glovisol

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:45 am

SteveAndrew wrote:
hb9ari wrote:Hello,
I'm not able to go on 1000 MHz and over. I'm using a RSP1 and was able to go over 1000 MHz with the older version.
What i'm doing wrong ?
Thank you for your help.
73 QRO, Rudi, HB9ARI

PS Seems to be related to an out of range index
I have an RSP1 and I'll see if I can reproduce the problem. It doesn't happen with and RSP1A.
Steve
Hi Rudi
I just connected an RSP1 and I'm getting the same error. Thanks for reporting that one, it's been added to the bug list.
Steve

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:56 am

glovisol wrote:Hi Steve,

Compliments for the excellent work! I am already using it daily. One problem, though: I am unable to switch from RAW to AVG. The AVG mode never starts....Any suggestion?

glovisol
Averaging is only currently enabled at spans of less than 5MHz. I'm looking at ways of expanding this range. The averaging system is video filtering of the display output. The problem is, that at larger spans, taking maybe 5 seconds to complete a sweep, then it would take the trace around 80 seconds to stabilise at the default average setting of 16 sweeps, and it only gets worse as the span increases.

Steve

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks Steve, will follow new development closely. Best regards,
glovisol