Tracking generator info

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
sdrom33

Tracking generator info

Postby sdrom33 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 am

I have been reading many posts on the tracking generator, but never a post giving a list of available info to build one and where to get the Arduino software. Can someone provide COMPLETE info? This could be very useful!

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew

Re: Tracking generator info

Postby SteveAndrew » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:05 am

sdrom33 wrote:I have been reading many posts on the tracking generator, but never a post giving a list of available info to build one and where to get the Arduino software. Can someone provide COMPLETE info? This could be very useful!

Hi

As per the manual :D

The Trackgen firmware HEX files can be found in the analyser's install directory. The default install directory is:
c:\Program Files\Andrew Developments\RSP-Spectrum Analyser\ (for 32 bit machines)
c:\Program Files(x86)\Andrew Developments\RSP Spectrum Analyser\ (for 64 bit machines)

The provided HEX files are for the Arduino Nano, Uno and Mega. The DDS modules are freely available on Ebay. Search for AS9851 DD module. The modules vary in physical layout. The modules I have used are the same as this one. You can also use the AD9850 but you maximum frequency will be limited to around 40MHz, the AD9851 will go to 90MHZ.
AD9851.jpg
AD9851.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

AD9851-Pins.jpg
AD9851-Pins.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

The pin names may vary. Connect as follows - assuming default pin settings for Trackgen:

W_CLK to Arduino Clock - D13
FU_UD to Arduino Update - D9
DATA to Arduino Data - D11
RSET to Arduino Reset - D10

QOUT1 and QOUT2 are square wave outputs.

ZOUT1 and ZOUT2 are sine wave outputs. One of them is filtered - I can't recall which one it is. Looking at the signal on the analyser will soon show you which is the filtered output.

The Arduino Sync pin (D8) just provides a 1ms pulse at the start of each DDS sweep - Ignore it if you have no use for it.

Let us know how it goes.

Steve

sdrom33

Re: Tracking generator info

Postby sdrom33 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks Steve,
I have plenty Arduino Uno's and will surely report my results!

Return to “Spectrum Analysis”