Tracking generator info

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
sdrom33

Tracking generator info

Post by sdrom33 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 am

I have been reading many posts on the tracking generator, but never a post giving a list of available info to build one and where to get the Arduino software. Can someone provide COMPLETE info? This could be very useful!

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew

Re: Tracking generator info

Post by SteveAndrew » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:05 am

sdrom33 wrote:I have been reading many posts on the tracking generator, but never a post giving a list of available info to build one and where to get the Arduino software. Can someone provide COMPLETE info? This could be very useful!
Hi

As per the manual :D

The Trackgen firmware HEX files can be found in the analyser's install directory. The default install directory is:
c:\Program Files\Andrew Developments\RSP-Spectrum Analyser\ (for 32 bit machines)
c:\Program Files(x86)\Andrew Developments\RSP Spectrum Analyser\ (for 64 bit machines)

The provided HEX files are for the Arduino Nano, Uno and Mega. The DDS modules are freely available on Ebay. Search for AS9851 DD module. The modules vary in physical layout. The modules I have used are the same as this one. You can also use the AD9850 but you maximum frequency will be limited to around 40MHz, the AD9851 will go to 90MHZ.
AD9851.jpg
AD9851.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 62089 times
AD9851-Pins.jpg
AD9851-Pins.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 62089 times
The pin names may vary. Connect as follows - assuming default pin settings for Trackgen:

W_CLK to Arduino Clock - D13
FU_UD to Arduino Update - D9
DATA to Arduino Data - D11
RSET to Arduino Reset - D10

QOUT1 and QOUT2 are square wave outputs.

ZOUT1 and ZOUT2 are sine wave outputs. One of them is filtered - I can't recall which one it is. Looking at the signal on the analyser will soon show you which is the filtered output.

The Arduino Sync pin (D8) just provides a 1ms pulse at the start of each DDS sweep - Ignore it if you have no use for it.

Let us know how it goes.

Steve

sdrom33

Post by sdrom33 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks Steve,
I have plenty Arduino Uno's and will surely report my results!

vk2byf

Post by vk2byf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:55 am

Thank You Steve, I too have been looking for this for a long time.
Bob vk2byf
Last edited by vk2byf on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

W8SKQ

Post by W8SKQ » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:27 pm

Great information. Thanks for posting it. I just ordered an AD9851. In looking at the specifications I noticed that its output impedance is over 100 Ohms. Has anyone done any work on how this mismatch with the RSP might affect performance of the analyzer? Has anyone worked on matching the output with the input of the RSP?

Thanks for any comments on this.
Cliff- W8SKQ
Last edited by W8SKQ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:45 pm

I'd guess it would be normal to put a 6dB (or higher) pad on the output to end up with a flat 50r output. Taking the output directly from the chip would be risky for the chip and also not be a constant impedance.
Last edited by g1hbe on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Andy

W8SKQ

Post by W8SKQ » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks Much Andy. I will give that a try once my AD9851 arrives and i get it running.
Cliff, W8SKQ

W8SKQ

Post by W8SKQ » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:31 pm

I will be deleting this post.
I found that from a previous project I had plugged the Atmel device in and had bent pin 27 under making no contact. That pin terminates at the terminal connection referred to as pin D13 in the tracking generator manual.
My apologies for this. :?

I am also having problems communicating with the AD9851.
Configuration is Win 7
Arduino Uno
AD8951 wired as shown in the provided pictures and discussion on this site
Spectrum Analyzer Version 1 works great. It does not recognize the tracking generator. I tried the resetting of the com port as discussed in the manual and after looking at the setup with serial terminal interfaces am finding that the Arduino is not communicating with the AD9851. Here are my actions and results:

Using both putty and Arduino Serial interface.
Arduino communicates with the commands that issue responses such as CONNECT, GETDDSTYPE, GETPINS etc.
However these responses seem to be only generated from the Arduino Uno.
When I try SPOTF= there is no output from the AD9851

Is there a test to determine if the Arduino is communicating with the AD9851?
If not, any recommendations as to next steps.

The spectrum analyzer is great and and I am using it a lot. Im very interested in getting the tracking generator to function in order to perform more effective bandpass filter testing.
Once I get things up and running I will add to the information available on line with the final discovered solution.

Thanks much for any help.
Cliff W8SKQ
Attachments
image.png
image.png (705 Bytes) Viewed 59188 times
Last edited by W8SKQ on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W8SKQ

Post by W8SKQ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:06 pm

Since posts cannot be deleted I decided to use this one for updates on startup issues with tracking Generator.

I installed Version b of the Spectrum Analyzer. It is great!
Once I reloaded this software along with the associated tracking generator software they both work extremely well.
Thank you Steve Andrews for your diligence on this very effective tool!.

Some concerns:
I am finding that the Tracking Generator and Spectrum analyzer sweep are not synchronous. Is it possible I'm not using it correctly.
Ive tried multiple step frequency increments without a lot of success.
For me, the way it is working seems to be that as the tracking generator independently sweeps that the spectrum analyzer sweep happens to pick up and sample the generator frequency on its way up. That has forced me to use peak so that after a while the entire spectrum is populated with data.

Is this really a TRACKING generator or an asynchronous one?
IF so is there a plan to make it track with the sweep of the Spectrum analyzer?

I apologize in advance if Ive missed something in setup and welcome any advice.

Thanks for a fine product. ACTUALLY, two fine products!)

Cliff
W8SKQ