Ham Radio Deluxe, SDRUno and TS-590sg help

An area to exchange hints and tips on various rig control software, also a place to ask the community questions if you are having problems.
mattltm

Ham Radio Deluxe, SDRUno and TS-590sg help

Post by mattltm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:15 pm

I know that I can connect HRD to SDRUno using CAT and I know that I can connect SDRUno to my TS-590 using Omnirig and that works, but...

Is there a way that i can get full control of the TS-590 via HRD? I would like to remote my station and control the TS-590 via HRD but also use SDRUno. The best method I can come up with is to use the USB connection on the TS-590 to connect with SDRUno via omnirig and then use the other COM port on the TS-590 to connect up with HRD via a serial to USB adaptor. It works but it's clunky and I have to remove the connection from the TS-590 to the Elecraft amplifier (that uses the com port on the TS-590 direct to the KPA500 for band changes).

Is there a better way?

Reason: No reason

mikeladd

Re: Ham Radio Deluxe, SDRUno and TS-590sg help

Post by mikeladd » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:59 pm

This was posted by a user in the SDRplay SDRuno facrbook group . This should apple to your radio as well.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sdruno/ ... 959816995/

There are two ways to hook SDRuno, HRD and the Yaesu together without using COM port splitter software (which can be unreliable). The first is by using OmniRig to connect to the Yaesu FT-450 and have it controlled by SDRuno (via OmniRig). SDRuno will connect to HRD via the SDRuno CAT interface (described in User manual). So SDRuno is acting as a central hub.

The second way is to have HRD act as the central hub and have it directly control the Yaesu and communicate with HRD using the 3rd party serial port option in HRD. SDRuno will connect to the HRD 3rd party serial port via OmniRig or CAT interface. In either case you will need virtual COM ports to connect HRD and SDruno. I recommend the open source software Com0Com but some users like VSPE

The advantage of method 1 is that you will have full control of all Yaesu transceiver features (filters, mode, RF level etc). The disadvantage is that when you transmit there will be a delay before SDruno gets the Tx status command and you will get audio out of SDRuno until Tx mute in SDRuno is finally activated. The other advantage to this method is you can easily switch SDR software and use SDRuno, HDSDR or SDR-Console. The main advantage with method 2 is that when you key the transmitter you will get quickly get the TX status command and SDruno will mute much faster. The other adavantage is that it is easy to choose and sync with HRD, WSJT-X or another logging program. The main disadvatage is that HRD will be using Kenwood emulation to talk to SDRuno so you will have limited functionality in HRD (freq and mode) but none of the other Yaesu features like RF control etc.

mattltm

Post by mattltm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks for the info.

Both ways posted seem to have their drawbacks. Using the USB provided com port for SDRUno and using the radio com port for HRD seems to work very well. I'm currently testing a passive hardware based com port splitter to allow the KPA500 to follow the TS-590 band changes and it seems to be fine.

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:09 pm

VSPE has a software splitter. I have used this option in the past without issues (SDRuno,ACL logger & Omnirig).
COM0COM only creates a pair but VSPE has so much flexibility
http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html