SDR# End of support of the ExtIO interface?

General discussions
ziptaco

Re: SDR# End of support of the ExtIO interface?

Post by ziptaco » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:31 pm

SDR# have recently been through a major restructuring process. We have also learned that it is possible to be considered a ‘friend’ to enable SDR# customers to regain access to the full features of SDR# for specific radios. We have asked what the process involves and await the response.
Thank you for your reply Jon,

Myself and I am sure others are glad to hear this, and the fact that the official SDRPlay guys are aware and making their best effort to benefit their customers.
Last edited by ziptaco on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:19 am

jon wrote: SDR# have recently been through a major restructuring process. We have also learned that it is possible to be considered a ‘friend’ to enable SDR# customers to regain access to the full features of SDR# for specific radios. We have asked what the process involves and await the response.
Great news!
Let's see what will happen.
Thank you Jon and all the team.
Last edited by CaptainNemo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Fones

Post by Fones » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:04 am

SDR# do not want to use EXTIO because they lost control over which radios SDR# works with. Now that SDRplay has been repeatedly lauded and very often seen as superior to Airspy, the SDR# team have clearly panicked, as it's ruining their sales of Airspy. Their only other apparent defence is to attempt to belittle every single poster around the forums who prefers SDRplay (as I do).
Last edited by Fones on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

ziptaco

Post by ziptaco » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:21 pm

jon wrote:
ziptaco wrote:It is sad that this piece of software now doesn't work as it should anymore. Greatly in part because a group of Facebook unofficial support people decided to handle the negotiation (threatening and name calling) instead leaving it to the makers of the SDRplay. If that situation would have been handled differently perhaps, a better outcome could have been reached. I guess that option went down the toilet now.
SDR# have recently been through a major restructuring process. We have also learned that it is possible to be considered a ‘friend’ to enable SDR# customers to regain access to the full features of SDR# for specific radios. We have asked what the process involves and await the response.

73, Jon, SDRplay marketing
So, Is there an update to this? Some of us loyal, paying customers would like to see this resolved. It would be great if you would keep us updated.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Once we became aware that there was a 'friends' programme by which third party harware would be fully supported under SDR#, we approached SDR# asking to understand what would be required from us for the RSP platform to included within this programme. Youssef Touil stated that he would discuss with the copyright holders of the S/W and get back to us. We reached out to him again on Tuesday, but so far have had no response. We will continue to politely try to understand what the route to unlocking the full features of SDR# may be, but beyond that there is little more that we can do at this stage.

SDRplay
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

dsalomon

Post by dsalomon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Perhaps we, the SDRPlay user community, could send Youssef a nicely worded email asking him to allow SDRPlay to fully access the software. Maybe via Yahoo Group poll? Maybe something like this:

Youssef,

The users of SDRPlay would like to be able to use the full feature set of your SDR# software on our SDRPlay hardware. We do understand that SDRPlay is a competitor. However, many of us have Airspys as well (I know I do, and am also waiting for my upgraded unit from Airspy.US). Many SDR users like to "play" with different hardware and software. I've found that there are only two really good software packages in the SDR software world: yours and SDR Console. I would really like to see support of the EXTIO interface brought back into SDR#, supporting the full feature set and capabilities of the software. These days, SDR hardware is less important than SDR software, as it's the software that really enables the features and functions from the IQ data provided by the hardware. Your SDR# is superb. and the plugin interface is something no one else has done, which makes it stand out well above the others. It would really be a shame to keep it locked down to a very limited hardware set. I, for one, don't mind paying a reasonable fee for good software, and that includes yours. So, if you will not consider allowing other hardware vendors free access to all features of SDR#, perhaps you would consider allowing this access, but with a fee-based structure (i.e. some advanced features remain locked until a license is purchased and entered into the software).

OK, SDRPlay group, I know many of you won't like what I'm suggesting here (pay to play). However, SDR# really is a fantastic software application. There is no other really good SDR software that has the plugin capability and, even more importantly, has some very, very well done plugins that greatly extend the features and value of the software. It's his software, so he can make whatever rules he wants. He appears to want to use it as a mechanism to generate sales of Airspys which, BTW, is good hardware as well. So, if we can't coerce him to allow access to competing vendors, maybe he'll loosen up if he sees it as a money generating opportunity.

I can always send him a note, like the above, via the SDR# Yahoo Group just from me - one individual asking. However, it would carry more weight if it came from the SDRPlay user community.

Feedback? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Best - David, AG4F
Last edited by dsalomon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

WyoDuner

Post by WyoDuner » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Well, I think your message was polite and non-offensive. If SDR Sharp - as a business - doesn't understand that generating good will can sell more products than aggressive techniques like locking other products out of their software by now then they never will. Point is, news travels fast on the internet and people won't support a company that employs these tactics in an attempt to gain market share. This will (has already?) back-fire for SDR Sharp/AirSpy and they will lose market share.

Personally, I would like to see SDR Sharp play nice with other hardware but it's Ok if it doesn't. I use HDSDR almost exclusively and SDR console quite a bit as well.

If I absolutely had to use SDR Sharp because of the plugins, I would probably do so with a cheap RTL-SDR dongle.

Would I pay a small fee for SDR Sharp??? NO! Not after all this. Besides, what's to stop Youssef from pulling this tactic again - maybe you bought an AirSpy and are happily using SDR Sharp but he decides that he wants to charge money to AirSpy users for SDR Sharp updates or whatever. No thanks, personally, I will avoid the whole situation.

My message to Youssef would be this: Ok, I understand you are in business to make money and that's fine. But, before it's too late, open SDR Sharp back up to other hardware and make amends with the SDR community before your reputation is irreversibly damaged. People will forgive and forget but at some point your potential customers will have moved on and not look back.
Last edited by WyoDuner on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

ScottSNE

Post by ScottSNE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:31 pm

It appears to me that the removal of extio interface support may not necessarily have been to cut of SDRPlay, but instead from dozens of different devices/developers jumping on board and using SDR# as the "preferred" software platform for their device, and then maybe blaming the software when something goes wrong.

I feel that any SDR manufacturer should, prior to releasing their product, do one of two things:

1. Consult with SDR# developers, SDR-Console's developer, etc., and set up the proper channels for future development and cooperation.
or
2. Develop or have developed their own proprietary software that provides full capability for their device over the entirety of its receiving range.

For VHF and above, SDR# remains the gold standard for SDR software. For HF I believe SDR-Console fits the bill. In my opinion at this juncture I don't believe that any individual or group is going to convince SDR# folks to change their minds. From my understandings at this has unfolded such prior endeavors "did not go too well" for various reasons. ;)
Last edited by ScottSNE on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

ziptaco

Post by ziptaco » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:24 pm

ScottSNE wrote: For VHF and above, SDR# remains the gold standard for SDR software. For HF I believe SDR-Console fits the bill. In my opinion at this juncture I don't believe that any individual or group is going to convince SDR# folks to change their minds. From my understandings at this has unfolded such prior endeavors "did not go too well" for various reasons. ;)
The problem is the manufacturer here is divided. On one side the have an "Unofficial" Facebook Support Group that helps a lot of people that are just starting out, by setting up their sdrplay etc. This unofficial support strategy takes a huge weight off the manufacturers shoulder. But, at the same time this group hinders any hopes of getting the SDR# people to cooperate with SDRPlay by letting them use the software with no limitations.

On the other side you have the manufacturer reaching out to Yousseff @ SDR# to get him to extend the benefit of using their software with SDRPlay but, without distancing themselves from the above mentioned Facebook group.

Both SDRPlay and Airspy are a step up from the Realtek based dongles. And I am positive that this is where most of their business is coming from. People who got their feet wet with RTLSDR and now are looking for something more.

I don't think you can play for both teams. Both SDRPlay and Airspy (SDR#) are business endeavors, and need to be seen as such. After seeing everything develop on Facebook, Twitter and RR Forums. I see that the SDR# group is doing everything to ensure their business is successful. But, what I can't understand is why is SDRPlay not doing the same.

Like you said, SDR# is the gold standard for VHF and up. Some people will say you have HDSDR and SDR-Console. Both great software for what they are. SDR-Console is my #1 choice for HF but It lacks a lot of functionality that can be found when you combine SDR# with the plugins available. Also, SDR#'s develpers are constantly updating and improving their software. The same cannot be said about the other software available.

More than reaching out and waiting which is the stage at which this is now. I think a decision has to be made as to what it is that SDRPlay as a company wants to achieve. A huge and rouge support group that may hinder how successful they are as a company or a friendship with a competitor that could be nothing but beneficial to SDRPlay and its users.

jon

Post by jon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:35 am

'Thanks ziptaco for your observations. However we don't think the world is as polarised as you suggest. The Facebook group you refer to is indeed an eclectic mix and that is why we at SDRplay would not try to close them down - indeed, many of them are enthusiastic dongle and Airspy users as well.

They do indeed provide a lot of informal and unpaid support and are providing much enjoyment to those experimenting with SDR. Many of those same people may even have helped shape SDR# to make it the great programme it undoubtedly is today. We have asked Youssef how we might help so let's see what he comes back with. The great thing about SDR is that together the mid-range affordable 12 bit products like Airspy and the RSP are making the pie much bigger for both suppliers to enjoy with their relative strengths. Jon
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.