For Any CUBIC Users

General discussions
Robert11

For Any CUBIC Users

Post by Robert11 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Hello,

Playing around with CUBIC SDR, vers. 0.25, on a RSP-2 and have a few very basic questions on.
The only Manual I could find is really old, and doesn't explain the following very well.

a. I can use my Mouse to change the digits on the right hand tuning bar labeled
"Center Frequency". Works the way you would expect.

But, I cannot change anything on the left bar, labeled simply "Frequency", with my Mouse.
Any idea why ?

*And, could someone please explain the differences in these two displays, and the significance of each ?

b. Lots of difficulty using the Bookmarks to save frequencies. Sure is a "convoluted" approach.
Wish they had a frequency manager like most of the other SDR programs seem to.
Hope they come out with one in next version.

If anyone might have a few spare minutes, could they describe how it (Bookmarks) is supposed to be used in some detail.
Would be most appreciative.

BTW: What's the latest User Manual or Guide version that you've been able to find ?

Thanks,
Bob

Reason: No reason

CopyLion

Re: For Any CUBIC Users

Post by CopyLion » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:09 am

I know this won't help, but I really tried to use CubicSDR and found it to be very unintuitive. I had the same issues with changing frequency, selecting frequency, using bookmarks in CubicSDR. The program seems unfinished and most definitely a work-in-progress. I finally gave up and downloaded the pre-built 64-bit binary of gqrx and have been happily using that ever since.
Last edited by CopyLion on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

makuk66

Re: For Any CUBIC Users

Post by makuk66 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:21 am

The manual is https://cubicsdr.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ (which is generated from https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR-Manual last updated 11 Mar 2018). The things you're asking about are on https://cubicsdr.readthedocs.io/en/late ... indow.html

The "Center Frequency" is the frequency displayed at the center of the main spectrum (the pane in the middle) and main waterfall. You change it by dragging the main spectrum left or right, clicking the numbers in the tuning bar, or moving your mouse into the main spectrum, hitting the space-bar and entering the the frequency using number keys (note that the dialog title is "Set Center Frequency").

You then create one or more "modems" that select parts of the band to listen to. For example, set the Center Frequency to a known station, then click in the waterfal on the center of the signal. You'll see lines in the waterfall indicating where it is, and you'll hear the station. Note that the Frequency is now filled in, and the same or close to the Center Frequency, depending on where you clicked. You can adjust the Frequency in the tuning bar, or by dragging the modem left or right, or by selecting the modem and hitting the space key and entering the desired frequency (note that the dialog title is "Set Demodulator Frequency").

Now create another modem by clicking in the waterwall (outside your current modem) on another station or noise. Now you hear both modems. If you want to mute a modem, select it (or hover over it or click on it) and press M. To delete, press D.

Note that when you switch between modems the Frequency in the tuning bar updates accordingly.

The reason you could not change the frequency before was that you didn't have a modem whose frequency to change.

The bookmarks basically work like this: The Active bit shows you the actice modem frequency. If you want to save that, click on it, click "Bookmark..." then pick an existing group or create a new one, and it gets added there. As for labels, I'm not sure, because they don't seem to work for me; I think I'm affected by this bug https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR/issues/665, note the xml editing workaround mentioned there.
Last edited by makuk66 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.