Raspberry Pi4B

General discussions
SDRnerd

Raspberry Pi4B

Post by SDRnerd » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am

Has anyone tried the new Raspberry Pi4B with an SDRPlay yet?

73' Ron

Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: Raspberry Pi4B

Post by sdrplay » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 pm

Yes had CubicSDR running this evening - looks like I can run up the sample rate higher than with RPi3B+, but only a quick look. Waiting for fan to arrive before being able to run proper comparative tests.

Looking good though. We'll put an image together when time permits.

Best regards,

Andy

vk7jj

Post by vk7jj » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:55 am

Order is in and waiting on stock he said enviously.

SDRnerd

Post by SDRnerd » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 am

Hi Andy,

Wich board did you use? I have ordered a 2Gb board as the 4Gb was not available for a while as I am told. So as I understand it right, the present RSP mount kit for the RSPi does not work. Seems the work on the new Raspian version for the RSPi4 is still not completely finished. I also have a Asus Tinkerboard, but sadly the RSP1A will not run under Debian so I ordered the RSPi4B.

73' Ron

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:33 pm

I have tried many SBCs and have them all working with RSPs...

RPi3 - RPi4
Asus Tinkerboard
Beaglebone Black
Orange Pi
Odroid C2
Odroid XU4
Pine64
etc.

I got the 4GB version of the RPi4B and now have just put it in a case with a fan. CPU Temp is constant at 46deg (it was running closer to 80deg last night without a fan!) and running CubicSDR demodulating FM at 42%

Audio is nice and clear with no stutters.

I'll do more detailed testing and produce an image as soon as I can. The existing image that we produce for the RPi3s will not work.

Best regards,

Andy

ewesterlaak

Post by ewesterlaak » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 pm

sdrplay wrote: The existing image that we produce for the RPi3s will not work.
Thanks Andy. I was just going to give that a try on my Pi 4B / 4GB but then I thought ...first lets check this forum :-)
Your work in putting together a new image is much appreciated!

Best regards,
Edward
Last edited by ewesterlaak on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 pm

It's worth noting that the official Pi4 and its associated power supply may be quite RFI-noisy, based on my recent preliminary testing.

I found that there were bands of RFI present after I swapped out my RPi3 for an RPi4 2Gb, that were definitely not there prior to the change. The only changes in my area was the removal of the Pi3 and the setup and inclusion of the Pi4 with official Pi-sourced USB-C power supply.

I've seen the interference on the signals sourced from an RSP1a connected to a laptop, with that laptop sharing mains power behind the same UPS as the Pi, and the Pi and Pi power supply is less than a meter from both the laptop and the RSP1a itself.

The amount of RFI lessened when I wrapped the Pi power cable a few times through a snap-on ferrite core, but it's still visible. It is however less than the laptop power brick's own interference. I'm still waiting on some chokes and baluns for my antenna before I can reduce the RFI to an acceptable level. (The local RFI isn't otherwise too bad, at least according to the output from my miniwhip at the other side of the house

Has anyone been able to compare the interference from the Pi4?
Last edited by cathalferris on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Astronomer, techie, pedaller, paddler.
Limerick, Ireland.
RSP1a, x2 RTL-SDR, a handful of cheap DVB-T dongles, and an Airspy+Spyverter en route.
20m homemade horizontal dipole/Chirio miniwhip/crappy Chinese miniwhip, RTL-SDR bundled antennae.