SDRPlay on Mac OSX

General discussions
NN4F

Re: SDRPlay on Mac OSX

Post by NN4F » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:15 pm

I run 3 macs and. 2 pc's at home, but sadly all my sdr stuff is on a PC, just so much easier, wish there was a simple install, there was a version I found that runs in the Mac, and uses the BorIP server for the RTL, has anyone looked at seeing if that could be modified, I'll take a look, but I'm not the best of programmers...
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:06 am

Hi
Any news on Mac support?
I need to be able to work with SDRPlay from GNURadio
Last edited by Sasan on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:14 am

Hi
Sorry for the double post .
Are you aware of the problems with your OS X driver (or gr-osmosdr's problems related to SDRPlay?)
I can use my SDRPlay on Windows, but I need to work with it from GNURadio and Gqrx.
I compiled the latest gr-osmosdr (from git) with SDRPlay support, also installed your OS X drivers.
Gqrx (and GNURadio) can see/detect the SDRPlay, but there is nothing in output (I mean, I have the spectrum on my Gqrx, but no sound on any of my local FM stations. I think there's a problem with either your driver or gr-osmosdr getting data from your drivers)
How can I troubleshoot to find the problem?

Best regards
DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

NN4F

Post by NN4F » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:02 pm

I had the same problem with GQRX, no display or sound but I had no errors on the compile?
I've decided to leave the mac alone and just use the PC for now, sadly.... just less trouble, all my shack computers are PC's anyway
and then I have 4 mac's would be nice to use one occasionally for the RSP, but no big deal to me, but I'm sure it is for anyone who only has a mac and no pc....

Paul
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:55 pm

The API works on the Mac as we have customers developing with it. The gr-osmosdr library is still being worked on but does work on Linux.

gr-osmosdr on Mac isn't something we've been able to test yet. I'm not sure how well the gr-osmosdr library is supported on Mac? I will put it on the list of combinations to check out and will post more information when we can get to it.

Best regards,

SDRplay
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:03 am

sdrplay wrote:The API works on the Mac as we have customers developing with it. The gr-osmosdr library is still being worked on but does work on Linux.

gr-osmosdr on Mac isn't something we've been able to test yet. I'm not sure how well the gr-osmosdr library is supported on Mac? I will put it on the list of combinations to check out and will post more information when we can get to it.

Best regards,

SDRplay
So, the problem should be in gr-osmosdr's calling your API?
Can we (users) help you in testing?
If yes, please provide some info on the aspects you need to be tested and I will be very happy to help you in developing and testing the Mac implementation.
DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:34 am

In another topic named "Linux", SDRPlay support team mention that the gr-osmosdr has some changes and its code is updated.
I didn't have access to Linux, so I checked out the latest source, compiled and installed it on Mac OS X and there is no difference at all.
I still can see/detect SDRPlay in GNURadio Companion and when I execute a simple flowgraph (FM radio), I just hear a constant hiss (although I can see the signals)
I've included some information here:

A screenshot of my running flowgraph.
My grc file (sample rate: 4 million)
And here's the grc log when running the flowgraph: http://pastebin.com/kBFfdYM1
(GNURadio is working as expected on my Macbook and I've tested it with HackRF One and RTL-SDR)
Attachments
lesson1.grc.zip
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 3.58.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 3.58.33 PM.png (124.08 KiB) Viewed 29220 times
DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:42 am

As mentioned above, Mac and gr-osmosdr is not a combination we have tested yet. It's in the list to be looked at. We know the API on the Mac works as we have customers using it natively and we know gr-osmosdr is working on Ubuntu.

We'll post info as soon as we can get to it.

Sorry I can't say any more than that at the moment.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

lowearthorbit

Post by lowearthorbit » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 pm

Just to let the community know, I have entered a ticket at Macports on this issue- Hopefully the group who is maintaining gr-osmosdr on macports
can enable SDRplay support next update. I've noticed that that port is updated every month or so, which is a good
sign.

If so, this would make enabling SDR related applications on the Mac alot easier, everything in one place and users just
need to run selfupdate and port upgrades, and any dependencies get updated as well.
Last edited by lowearthorbit on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

lowearthorbit

Post by lowearthorbit » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Looks like there has been some discussion on this issue over at the Gqrx SDR community discussions:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... tTNWVTTjFU

The fix there has been to build ones own gr-osmosdr (with the NONFREE option so as to pick up the SDRplay drivers which are under /usr/local/lib
and /usr/local/include as recommended by SDRplay tech support), but when running cmake, set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to /opt/local
(where MacPorts writes), thereby effectively "overwriting" what MacPorts has there for its gr-osmosdr build. Then install gqrx from
Macports as usual. Gqrx then recognizes the SDRplay, at least, but the same issue that others report on earlier posts
(buffer overflows) pop up very shortly after activating any sort of demodulation, and the application eventually hangs or crashes.
Last edited by lowearthorbit on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.