New User - trouble with audio

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
M0KIS

New User - trouble with audio

Post by M0KIS » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi, I have an issue with receiving on my new SDRPlay RSP2. Firstly I have 2 PC's and on one (windows 10) it is running ok. However on my other machine (windows 7, but may not bee relevant) the audio is unclear with a pulsing noise continually apparent. I reset all defaults on SDRuno, to no avail and also note the same sound 'interference' is also present on HDSR on this PC. I conclude then that the RX is ok, but something on this PC makes it unusable.

A recording is available here: https://www.kissack.co.uk/public/temp/2 ... 120224.mp4

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I'd like to run the RX on this (my main) PC

Allan
Last edited by M0KIS on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: New User - trouble with audio

Post by g1hbe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi Allan. First of all, is your PC spec high enough? Pulsing or 'choppy' sound is usually an indicator of lack of horsepower in the PC or maybe you have some power-hungry task running in the background. Some security software can do this.
There have also been recent reports of W7 not being happy with SDR software if you don't have the full set of up to date MS patches etc.
I also note that you are receiving right on top of the LO frequency, which is a strict no-no, and your IF bandwidth is set to 60kHz which is too narrow for broadcast FM.

Andy

M0KIS

Post by M0KIS » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:06 am

Andy

Thanks, for the pointers. I suspected something on the PC (it is a i3-61000 - bought last year and similar to the working PC). It also appeared on all bands, but I wonder whether as I installed it on this PC first, I was missing a trick with the LO? I uninstalled the software yesterday and re-installed today. Even with the LO=Rx freq' the same interference isn't there today! (But thanks for highlighting this) - So it is all looking to be a bit of a mystery. I'll do some listening tonight and (hopefully) the issue wont return.

regards
Allan
Last edited by M0KIS on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

VK3MHZ

Post by VK3MHZ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:06 am

I know this sound:
It is more than likely that is is your computer running out of steam.

I am currently running SDRUno on a laptop, i3 380M @ 2.53 GHz and 4Gb RAM. I can run a maximum of 3 VRX's without any issues, but two is the most comfortable.

Apart from having a lot of Windows open, I cannot see anything really wrong with your settings. Have you made any changes to the AGC box? Try closing all windows except the main waterfall, sub-waterfall, VRX, and the main workspace and see how it goes.

Only other thing I can suggest is setting the bandwidth to 192k

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 pm

If you are using SDRUno 1.22 or earlier with the RSP2 try upgrading to SDRUno 1.23 or 1.24 (which uses the SDRPlay API Service). I had similar issues with 1.22 and earlier versions of SDRUno with my RSP2. After installing SDRUno 1.23 performance improved substantially.