SDRplay RSP2 appears to be useless on Ubuntu

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
Sandra99

SDRplay RSP2 appears to be useless on Ubuntu

Post by Sandra99 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:55 am

While my SDRplay RSP2 works very nicely on WIN7, it appears to be all but useless on Ubuntu v18+. The problems relate to installing the SDRplay drivers. The SDRplay folks do have a very nice step-by step guide for installing them..... unfortunately there are a few problems:

1- to download the correct driver you have to select the serial number series from a drop-down box then fill in the last few digits. However the serial number range for my particular radio is not listed in the drop down box.
2- once you get the closest driver downloaded, it doesn't run. It TRIES to run, but then encounters "invalid characters" and stops..... and without the drivers, she the software doesn't recognize it.

While I'm sure there is a work-around, it is listed nowhere on the SDRplay website. So, for the moment I'm disappointed with SDRplay. It's a great little radio, but appears to be poorly supported on Ubuntu.
Last edited by Sandra99 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: SDRplay RSP2 appears to be useless on Ubuntu

Post by sdrplay » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:28 pm

You don't need to register to get the API if you don't want to - go to www.sdrplay.com/downloads and get the API directly.

Before executing the .run file you will need to make it executable first by using chmod 755 filename

then you can run the installer

as you can see in this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFgShByK20

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

someYguy

Re: SDRplay RSP2 appears to be useless on Ubuntu

Post by someYguy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 pm

I've tried both Ubuntu and Windows again and again and my experience has been that these receivers and their associated drivers and software work far better and with far less hassle on Windows. Nothing against Ubuntu nor Linux in general, I use it for some pretty cool applications. But not this :).