File type .CF21, cs16, cs8, cu8

General discussions
CarlNorman

File type .CF21, cs16, cs8, cu8

Post by CarlNorman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:25 am

Hi all,

I am very new to all this and doing a research project for a company.

I require getting the data from my RSP2PRO into one of hte following formats for use with some other software

*.cf32, *.cfile - Complex 32-bit floating point samples (GNURadio, osmocom_fft)
*.cs16 - Complex 16-bit signed integer samples (BladeRF)
*.cs8 - Complex 8-bit signed integer samples (HackRF)
*.cu8 - Complex 8-bit unsigned integer samples (RTL-SDR)

Can anyone point me at ways to do this from either windows or linux?

Thanks
Last edited by CarlNorman on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Sasan

Re: File type .CF21, cs16, cs8, cu8

Post by Sasan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 am

Take a look at these two links and let me know if you need further help:

https://gist.github.com/DrPaulBrewer/91 ... a51f7febb5
https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDR/ ... atives.hpp

By the way, SDRPlay produces I and Q samples as "short" data-type (16 bit values)

DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

CarlNorman

Post by CarlNorman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Thank you so much.

- I assume I use the record option in SDRUno to generate the .wav file, although this is really not a "wav" file
- I just take this ".wav" file and run it through the rtlsdr-to-gqrx which I will run in a gcc compiler?
- What format extension is the output from rtlsdr-to-gprx? (there was no use case/example i.e. .cs16?)

I am not sure why there are two links you sent. I presume (hope) there are two ways to do this? I am good with C code can I just use that or both of these files are performing two differen things?

Sorry for the probably simple questions, I am not from the SDR world although I am an electroncincs engineer trying to use these tools for what they're likely not intended for on a research project.
Last edited by CarlNorman on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 pm

CarlNorman wrote:Thank you so much.

- I assume I use the record option in SDRUno to generate the .wav file, although this is really not a "wav" file
- I just take this ".wav" file and run it through the rtlsdr-to-gqrx which I will run in a gcc compiler?
- What format extension is the output from rtlsdr-to-gprx? (there was no use case/example i.e. .cs16?)

I am not sure why there are two links you sent. I presume (hope) there are two ways to do this? I am good with C code can I just use that or both of these files are performing two differen things?

Sorry for the probably simple questions, I am not from the SDR world although I am an electroncincs engineer trying to use these tools for what they're likely not intended for on a research project.
The answer to your question depends on your needs and use-case.
Although there are many ways to achieve this, but perhaps the most flexible option is writing your own program to record streams of I/Q samples from SDRPlay and save them in a file (with the desirable format)
One other option would be using GNURadio's "File Sink" (I don't use Windows, so I'm not familiar with SDRUno's features)
Take a look at SDRPlay API Specification (from Downloads section of SDRPlay website).
Also take a look at some C code examples here: https://github.com/SDRplay/examples (compile them and play with them and let me know if you encounter problems)
Also digging in this forum you can read some conversations which may help you (like viewtopic.php?f=9&t=541)

DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C