What is the Digital button for in SDRuno?

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
StandingWave

What is the Digital button for in SDRuno?

Post by StandingWave » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:23 pm

I am trying to work out what this actually does. I thought it would bring up some digital decoding modes, but it doesn't seem to. Is just for passing the raw signal to another application to process? Or is there some DMR or D-Star decoding feature hidden somewhere?

Reason: No reason

g4enz

Re: What is the Digital button for in SDRuno?

Post by g4enz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:31 pm

There are no "hidden" digital decoders. I was actually listening to a local DMR repeater using my RSPduo as I read your message. I have NFM selected and am piping the audio to DSD+ through a Virtual Audio Cable.

You would use the "Digital" mode when receiving DRM stations on HF. You would pipe the audio to something like Dream.

Martin

mikesimpson55

Post by mikesimpson55 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 pm

You can also use the 'Digital' mode for reading L-Band Aero signals at around 1545MHz

Mike

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 am

it also "clarifies" SSB signals (sort of alters tonal values - try it!).

StandingWave

Post by StandingWave » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks. I have been trying to experiment DSD+ but am unsure where to find a DMR stream to listen to. I also looked at Digitalle Radio Mondialle (DRM) with the same problem. Are there any broadcast stations (that can be received in the UK) still using it?

g4enz

Post by g4enz » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:27 am

Not too sure where you are in the UK but you ought to be in range of an Amateur DMR repeater.

https://www.ukrepeater.net/repeaterlist ... ter4=dmr70

For DRM use this reference...

http://www.hfcc.org/drm/

The transmission from RFI on 3965 is very strong here in Gloucester in the evenings.

StandingWave

Post by StandingWave » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Thank you for those links. I am in the midlands and the repeater in Markfield is not too far away from me (approx 10 miles). I tried listening on the frequencies indicated (439.625MHz and 439.750MHz) on NFM mode but didn't see any transmission waterfalls. I did catch a couple of short bursts of waterfall on 439.475MHz that matched the DMR signature in Artemis, but DSD+ didn't give me any audio. Having said that, I'm just double clicking DSDplus to run it and not specifying any parameters. I do have 'CABLE output' set as my recording device and Speakers as the output device.

I also tried RFI on 3965. I could see a faint waterfall which I could improve by adjusting the gain but I couldn't get Dream to decode anything. Possibly the signal is a bit too weak?

g4enz

Post by g4enz » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:28 am

You will only hear something from the DMR repeaters when there are stations active on a Talk Group that the repeater is set to relay. This means you might have to sit for a long time before someone pops up. Leave DSD+ monitoring even whilst you are not near the radio, it will be apparent on the console whether you have successfully received something. I find more activity on DMR when people are driving to and from work, mornings and evenings.

I am not too sure what time you were listening for RFI on DRM but it is around 22:00 that it gets strong here. Earlier in the evening, there is a lot of fading and reception isn't so good.

Email me using my QRZ.COM address if you want to discuss this further, I'm aware that this topic isn't appropriate for this thread in the sdrplay forum.

Regards,
Martin - G4ENZ