RSP1A and SMA connector

Post your feedback here
MJH5N1

RSP1A and SMA connector

Post by MJH5N1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:30 am

Hi, after i bought RSP1A i have been using it a lot and therefore the SMA connector started to become loose. Over time it started to spin in place and then when i tried to activate biastee so i could use an LNA nothing happened (i always almost use an lna with RSP1A). The wire from SMA to the board (IPX connector i think) had twisted so much it was half teared off. I have bought an replacement IPX to SMA cable (it cost 1$) but unfortunately the LNA dont work after this (luckily it was a cheap lna).

My tip to new owners of RSP1A is to open up the case and use a little bit of superglue where the sma connector rests so it stays in place.

Only other thing of note is that DAB+ intermod destroys the ability to see 240-260 mhz even with filter. There has been difficulties to find european DAB+ stop band filters (there is a LOT of FM filters on the market tho) :/
Last edited by MJH5N1 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Five kW

Re: RSP1A and SMA connector

Post by Five kW » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Bingo! I also have the RSP1A with a spinner SMA connector! After separating the case halves, the micro coax looks like a bread twister. I busted out a new SMA connector to liberate it from the star washer. Now I have a star washer on both sides of the plastic case, applied a little torque (more than a tweak, less than a lug nut) on the SMA flat nut for enough grip to hold a 90 degree elbow and 19 inch HT antenna when not connected to coax/antenna. I would like to relocate this SMA into a proper hole, not saddled between case halves. One place I am considering is dead center on the top half of the case with a copper sheet (wide copper foil tape) on the underside to form a ground plane. This SMA connector really needs two star washers in final assembly, one is not enough grip.

I need to get a replacement SMA pigtail to pcb connector with more robust coax and little longer in length.

Regards,
Last edited by Five kW on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

SDRnerd

Post by SDRnerd » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:25 am

There are DAB filters on offer.

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/DAB-Stop-f ... SwttRZuSTv

This seller has also a big number of filters available for sale.

Good luck.

MJH5N1

Post by MJH5N1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:45 pm

SDRnerd wrote:There are DAB filters on offer.

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/DAB-Stop-f ... SwttRZuSTv

This seller has also a big number of filters available for sale.

Good luck.
Nice! This + new LNA and i am listening again :)
Last edited by MJH5N1 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

ON5HB

Post by ON5HB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:46 pm

I had it too on 1 box, the SMA connector came loose.
I opened the box as soon as I noticed and mounted the connector properly.
Do not wait until the coax at the inside has been damaged.

I doubt SDRplay will let you lose warranty if you report and repair it yourself.
But ask before you do, always best.