Feedback for version 1.0a here

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
angazu
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by angazu » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:40 am

Hi.

Thanks for this outstanding software.

My setup: I5 4 cores , windows 7 pro 32 bits. RSP1

The behavior is quite stable if sweep is kept in bandpass range and no bandpass switching is neccesary.
If sweep range need bandpass switching, it stops after some sweeps.
RSP1_filters.jpg
RSP1_filters.jpg (34.62 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Also, can not sweep above 1 Gz. I got same errors as posted before.

Best regards.
ANgazu.

Reason: No reason

Cornie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:17 am

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by Cornie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:54 am

Hi Steve.

Thanks for writing your “poor mans spectrum analyser”.
While testing it I found some good results and some results that I can’t explain. Maybe bugs, driver problems or operator error.

I have used an RSP Duo with a 140.1 MHz DDS output connected to tuner1 and the 140.5 MHz output of an ADALM Pluto SDR connected to tuner 2.
In SDRUno I see on tuner1 only the DDS signal with a RX level of -28 dBm. On tuner2 I see only the Pluto SDR signal with a RX level of -30 dBm.

If I start the spectrum analyser program, select tuner 1 and push the start button I see both signals of both tuners with low level below 80 dBm.
ScreenShot1.jpg
ScreenShot1.jpg (209.07 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Selecting tuner2 no signal is visible
Selecting Tuner1 again both signals are visible but now with higher power levels.
ScreenShot3.jpg
ScreenShot3.jpg (209.35 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Further switching between tuner 1 and 2 does not change the shown spectra of tuner 1 and 2.
If I now push the “stop” button and then “start” button again then also tuner 2 shows both signals with slightly different power levels.
ScreenShot5.jpg
ScreenShot5.jpg (212.24 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
I can repeat this after restarting the spectrum analyser. Also, after a complete deinstall and reinstall of sdruno, spectrum analyser SW and drivers.
Do you have any idea what causes this behaviour?

regards

Cornie
Last edited by Cornie on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

davidahaworth
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:37 am

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by davidahaworth » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Great software, thanks for developing it.
73 David WA9ONY
Last edited by davidahaworth on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:57 am

Cornie wrote:If I start the spectrum analyser program, select tuner 1 and push the start button I see both signals of both tuners with low level below 80 dBm.
Cornie wrote:Selecting tuner2 no signal is visible
Selecting Tuner1 again both signals are visible but now with higher power levels.
Cornie wrote: can repeat this after restarting the spectrum analyser. Also, after a complete deinstall and reinstall of sdruno, spectrum analyser SW and drivers.
Do you have any idea what causes this behaviour?
There is a bug that was mentioned in the release notes: If the analyser is stopped and re-started, sometimes (but not always) there seems to be a shift in reference level causing a drop in the apparent noise floor. This may be connected. I've added this to the bug list.

Steve

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:03 am

hb9ari wrote:Hello,
I'm not able to go on 1000 MHz and over. I'm using a RSP1 and was able to go over 1000 MHz with the older version.
What i'm doing wrong ?
Thank you for your help.
73 QRO, Rudi, HB9ARI

PS Seems to be related to an out of range index
I have an RSP1 and I'll see if I can reproduce the problem. It doesn't happen with and RSP1A.

Steve

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 am

ThunderTheDog wrote:Just tried the alpha version. Works great. I cant seem to find the waterfall view like in the first release. Anyone know how to enable it?
Sorry about the delay in replying.I was having trouble trying to respond to older posts. All sorted now.

The waterfall function has been removed for various reasons. It may be included in a later version, but please don't hold me to that.

Steve

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:11 am

angazu wrote:he behavior is quite stable if sweep is kept in bandpass range and no bandpass switching is neccesary.
If sweep range need bandpass switching, it stops after some sweeps.
This is a known bug, but thanks for providing more data, it all helps.

Steve

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:16 am

G0HZU wrote:I recently bought an RSP1A and downloaded the SA software last night. Thanks for providing this!

Can it have a 1Hz noise marker function? Ideally, this would be done the same way it is done in a regular lab analyser.
Can you add a Flat Top window function?

Also, the spurious free dynamic range behaviour is a bit strange with a two tone test. Can the user have more control over what is happening at the front end? I've only had a few fumblings with it so far but I seem to get good SFDR performance with the ref level set at -20dBm. But if I start and stop the analyser and then start again the SFDR collapses to just a few dB. The fix appears to be to select 0dBm ref level and then go back to -20dBm. The SFDR with the ref level set at -10dBm is much worse than with it set at -20dBm so something strange is also happening here.
Noise marker - on the possible wish
Flat Top window. I have several more window type to add, not sure which yet - all takes time.

SFDR - There is a known bug where it appears that the LNA and IF gains settings being sent to the RSP module are being changed.

Steve

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 am

angazu wrote:The behavior is quite stable if sweep is kept in bandpass range and no bandpass switching is neccesary.
If sweep range need bandpass switching, it stops after some sweeps.
This bug is showing up in various forms. I've noted it and it will be fixed for the release version. Thanks for providing additional data.

Steve

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 1.0a here

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:53 am

K9AQ wrote:Thank you Steve!
This morning I did a quick test of the ability to measure harmonics using an Elecraft XG3 signal generator. The placement of the marks takes some getting used to. I found the fastest way was to enable peaks and then use the "next" buttons to place the marker on the peak that I wanted.

https://www.sdrplay.com/community/downl ... ew&id=1592

Don
K9AQ
Hi Don
Glad you like the new version.

You are correct, using the peak function to place the markers is by fare the easiest way to do things. As you say, placing the marker with any degree of precision can be difficult. I'm going to try and add a "nudge" function to help by using the scroll wheel or left and right arrow keys.

Steve

Reason: No reason

Post Reply