Erratic Audio

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
ohioroyce

Erratic Audio

Post by ohioroyce » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:25 pm

I had attempted to use a virtual audio cable so I could try CW Skimmer and Multi PSK programs. I could not get any of them to work correctly, so I uninstalled both of those programs as well as the virtual audio cable. Now I am having problems with intermittent audio with SDR Uno. With any other programs on my computer, such as medial player, etc. the audio is just fine, but not with SDR Uno. I tried reinstalling the SDR Uno ver. 1.3, but that did not make any difference. The SDR Uno worked fine before I started messing around trying to get the audio out to these other two programs. If I tune to a station all I can hear is every other word. If I were to write out what the last sentence I just typed sounds like it would sound like: I tu to a st an al I ca he is ev ot wo. Any idea why the audio would suddenly be intermittent and how to fix it?
Last edited by ohioroyce on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrom33

Re: Erratic Audio

Post by sdrom33 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 pm

You are overloading the processor of your PC. Probably you are in the red with the overload bar.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 am

Put it in Zero-IF Mode then reduce the sample rate to 2 MHz. Does it still stutter?

ohioroyce

Post by ohioroyce » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 am

Yes, Mike, it still stutters.
Last edited by ohioroyce on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 am

Try the newest version of SDRUno (1.31) if that doesn't fix it then check this stuff:

1) Did you select "Listen to this Device" in any of the Windows sound settings? It can cause feedback if you do.

2) If you are using Windows 10 and Uninstall a program or driver and Windows prompts you to restart your computer. Don't shut it down, restart it. Shut down and restart are two different things.

3) Try to remember if you changed any settings.

4) To prevent this from happening again, after you get it working properly, do a system back up of the damn computer. It makes life a lot easier.

ohioroyce

Post by ohioroyce » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:36 pm

I am already using the new version of SDRuno. My computer is an older laptop running Windows Vista and SDRuno has worked just fine up to this point. I will double check what you listed and see if it makes any difference. One thing I am thinking of is the battery. I have noticed the laptop no longer will keep accurate time, so I am thinking the CMOS battery may be dying. I have ordered a new battery for it and am waiting on its arrival. Could that battery dying cause this strange stuttering erratic audio?

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:54 pm

A dead CMOS battery is usually accompanied by a warning at startup - "CMOS checksum error" or something similar. The time will usually be reset to some date far in the past like - Jan 1, 1999. More importantly the CMOS battery also provides standby power for the BIOS memory. If the battery goes dead any non-default settings will be lost. Depending on the computer it could cause serious performance problems.
Has the laptop's main battery been removed or run down in the recent past?

ohioroyce

Post by ohioroyce » Thu May 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Been real busy lately with work, so I have not had a chance to reply Mike. Yes, the main battery has reached the point where it will not really charge properly, so I ordered a new main battery also. The main battery has arrived and I have installed it. It seems to be charging and working fine now, but still have the erratic audio. Before I replaced the main battery the time and date did go back to an older date and time as you described. That is why I ordered a new battery for the CMOS, but I have not received that one yet. Once the CMOS battery arrives and I have a chance to replace it I will update you on what is going on with the erratic audio situation. I really think that CMOS battery may be where the problem lies. However, I don't seem to have any problems with other audio or programs, but I realize the SDR could be a rather intensive application for this computer, so I still am leaning toward the idea of the CMOS battery being the problem.

ohioroyce

Post by ohioroyce » Thu May 09, 2019 12:20 pm

Here is an update. I have replaced both the main rechargeable battery and the CMOS battery. The system now appears to be working properly. Apparently the battery, in particular the CMOS battery, was weak or dead and that was causing the instability resulting in the erratic audio. Therefore, if anyone else is having an erratic audio problem make sure your CMOS battery is up to snuff before you start messing with settings and drivers. And, Mike, thanks again for your assistance and advice. Keep up those videos on how to set up and use this great SDR receiver.