Very good for the money and no problems at all here.

Post your feedback here
someYguy

Very good for the money and no problems at all here.

Post by someYguy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:30 am

Hi All,

I've been using the RSP1 for several months now and it works flawlessly here. I'm using HDSDR, SDRUno, SDR#, and SDR console v3. Each program has its advantages but I use HDSDR most of the time because its ultra stable and IMO has the most effective filtering.

Antennas in use are a 130ft. homebrew double-bazooka @ 35ft, and a Doxytronics model 8020ca portable magnetic loop. Both work well with this receiver on HF.

No trouble with center spike, very little with images & birdies. I also use my RSP1 to monitor local public service in the 150-160mhz region, no trouble there either. It is as sensitive & selective as other receivers here (Radio Shack & Uniden scanners).

Computer is a Winbook TW700 7-inch tablet, running Windows 8.1. Using an Acer 17-inch eternal monitor for bigger display as needed.

So how do I get this great performance? Glad you asked :). First, I ditched the RSP1 AGC right away and went to manual control of the Gain Reduction in the SDRPlay Device Controller panel. For me, a setting of 37 results in excellent HF performance with no noticeable overloading. On the MW broadcast band, I set it to 57 and it performs beautifully. I very rarely use the LNA, it is pretty much always off. IF mode is set to Low IF usually unless I need to see more spectrum but this computer will only allow up to about 2mhz anyway which is more than enough for most purposes.

I also have all of the SDR programs which allow it (HDSDR & SDR#) set to automatically compensate for I & Q imbalance.

So all in all, I find this to be a very capable receiver and spectrum analyzer. Learn how to use the gain settings and when to use (or not) the LNA and you won't be disappointed.
Last edited by someYguy on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

someYguy

Re: Very good for the money and no problems at all here.

Post by someYguy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:32 pm

I should add that I live within a basin, surrounded by (7) 10-20kw FM broadcast transmitters on top of the local mountains. There are also (4) 1-5kw AMBC transmitters here, with one of them just 2 mi. from me.

With the RSP1 settings which I use as noted in the post above, I do not see any substantial interference nor images from the broadcasters.

Anyway, hope that this helps someone :)
Last edited by someYguy on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:01 pm

You wrote:

>No trouble with center spike, very little with images & birdies.

Just to be clear - you're okay with avoiding it, or you don't see a center spike at all?

I ask because I see a center spike all the time and have to avoid it to get a decent signal.

-Noel

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Noel, sorry about late reply but I just now saw this. To answer - I see no center spike at all wiyh HDSDR and sometimes just a tiny one with SDR# but it isn't always present.