pgoelz

Re: SDRUno 1.2 issues

Post by pgoelz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Another bug....

Select preset ham band 17M.

Select antenna A or B.

Select preset ham band 20M.

Select HiZ antenna.

The RF sampling will freeze with continuous solid lines on the waterfall as soon as you select the HiZ antenna input. The only way to resume sampling is to exit the program and re-start it. This may apply to other combinations of bands / sample widths / decimation / antennas, but the above is 100% reproducible in my installation (1080P monitor, Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, i7, 8GB RAM).

I note a temporary sampling freeze at times when switching from VHF to HF via memory bank, but that also involves an antenna change at the same time. However, those freezes are temporary and sampling resumes after ~ 1S.

EDIT: This is apparently tied somehow to RF gain. Seems more likely to freeze if the RF gain setting is lower vs. higher. And it can often be stimulated simply by switching from antenna A or B to HiZ at some RF gain settings.

Paul

Reason: No reason

pgoelz

Post by pgoelz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:38 pm

DF1KZ wrote:Maybe another small bug:
The value of "Crystal Calibration" is ignored if you "Stop" and "Play" again.
The value is still there but you have to select the value and press "Enter". After that the calibration-value is effective again.

Wolfgang (DF1KZ)
Not sure if I am reporting the same thing or not.... calibration is lost if you stop or exit and then restart the program. For example, before running the CAL routine, 20MHz WWV reads +7.5Hz. Run the CAL routine and 20MHz WWV now reads +/- 0.1Hz. Click STOP, then click START and 20MHz WWV once again reads +7.5Hz.

At this point, I'm done with version 1.2 until some of these issues are addressed. I appreciate the small improvements that came with 1.2 but right now at least for me they are outweighed by the additional bugs so I have re-installed version 1.13 in a separate folder (so both versions can coexist) and will be using 1.13 for normal daily use. Interestingly, as soon as I started version 1.13, all my original screen layouts came back, calibration was dead on AND the calibration persists from one session to the next. I assume they are stored in the registry in a different location than the settings for 1.2?

I would love to be part of any beta testing... I would rather be part of the solution instead of just complaining.

Paul

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 pm

The 'Loss of Cal Bug' also takes place when switching IF modes (Low-IF/Zero-IF).

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:33 am

pgoelz wrote:Another small issue.... the previous version remembered the location of the memory bank files. v1.2 does not... you have to navigate to the SDRUno folder each time you want to open a memory bank.

And a question.... is this forum the proper place to provide this kind of feedback? Is it wanted? So far I have received no response from the SDRPlay folks whatsoever in this thread. I'll just go back under my rock if feedback from the field isn't desired. Just trying to help make SDRUno an even better program.....

Paul
Hi Paul
This was not my experience; once I had "informed" the programme where they were, it has faithfully recalled them and I have a lot.
To be honest, I cannot at the moment recall how the process went, but perhaps try interrogating the left-hand side panel, where the eibi data base appears at the top - it was probably achieved via this - I think.
Best Wishes
Paul

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:11 am

Hi guys,

Couple of things...

Firstly, I would just like to say that the primary focus of this community forum for people to be able to share experiences with, and gain assistance from, other users of the SDRplay hardware and software. Whilst we do look through the content of the forum, we do it on a best efforts basis and I can't guarantee a timely response (although we do try).

We have noted the issues you've raised here, I would say that there is a mixture of style, non and real issues here. We have begun a 1.21 patch which is really to fix real issues found in 1.2 - we will get this out within the next 2 weeks.

By far the best way to report issues to us is currently the support ticket system (http://www.sdrplay.com/support) this will mean that it is tracked and responded to. In future releases we will look to have a better system in place to report SDRuno bugs. We have a system for this internally so we are looking to see how best we can expose that for this purpose.

We do really appreciate all of the bug reporting. It does come in different forms and sometimes it's hard to respond to everyone quickly as a single issue could be reported by a few people.

I am currently looking into the calibration issue you have raised. It would be useful if you could also check whether the value is being stored in the Main Settings CAL panel, whether it's a consistent value and whether the use of LO LOCK has an effect.

Regarding the Memory Panel Folder - right click in the memory panel and select the "Select banks folder" and it will remember where you are storing your memory banks.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Best regards,

SDRplay Software Development Team

DF1KZ

Post by DF1KZ » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:29 am

Hello SDRplay - Team,

Concerning the calibration issue:
The calibration value (here: -0,441 ppm) is stored in Main Settings "Crystal Calibration". The value is right and not changed by the bug. After "Stop" / "Play" the value is ignored.
The status of "LO LOCK" seems to have no effect. But I use "LO LOCK" when I listen to GRAVES signals.

Wolfgang

SDRplay (RSP1, RSP1A, RSP2pro) with:
RFsystems DX-10 (14kHz to 50MHz), resistive splitter 1/4, 1:16 transformer on Hi-Z of RSP2
ICOM Discone AH-8000 (10MHz to 2GHz)
12m above ground

pgoelz

Post by pgoelz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:33 am

sdrplay wrote:We have noted the issues you've raised here, I would say that there is a mixture of style, non and real issues here. We have begun a 1.21 patch which is really to fix real issues found in 1.2 - we will get this out within the next 2 weeks.
I do know what you are saying but I feel compelled to point out that ALL issues I report are "real". They represent observed behavior that is undesired. Since I do not always know what the design intent was or what you consider an "issue", I have to leave it to you to determine which reported issues need immediate attention and which go into the "future consideration" hopper. I was unaware that there was a support ticket system. I will look into using it the next time if that is the preferred feedback method.
I am currently looking into the calibration issue you have raised. It would be useful if you could also check whether the value is being stored in the Main Settings CAL panel, whether it's a consistent value and whether the use of LO LOCK has an effect.
My experience mirrors Wolfgang's..... the calibration value IS stored in the "crystal calibration" box in SETTINGS. It IS updated consistently and correctly when the calibration routine is run. It DOES correctly affect the received frequency during the current session. However, although the value is retained between sessions, it is ignored as soon as the program is restarted. And here is an oddity that might be helpful..... if I change the crystal calibration value manually by inputting a value and then clicking somewhere else, the value is updated and retained between sessions. However, it is IGNORED in the current AND subsequent sessions. However, if I change the crystal calibration value manually by inputting a value and then pressing ENTER, the value is updated and retained... and acted upon during the current session. However, it is once again ignored if the program is terminated and re-started.
Regarding the Memory Panel Folder - right click in the memory panel and select the "Select banks folder" and it will remember where you are storing your memory banks.
Yes, that is how (I assume) it is SUPPOSED to work, and it IS how v1.13 works. However, upon right clicking in the memory panel, v1.2 opens to the parent "user/documents" folder and DOES NOT remember that it was previously directed to the "user/documents/SDRUno" folder.

If this behavior is not as intended, perhaps the problem is that v1.2 was installed as an update over the top of v1.13?

Paul

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Hello pgoelz,
Please see the banner at the top of this page (under where it says SDRplay Community Forum). It shows the link to the support ticketing system. As we have explained before, this forum is not well suited to be used for support. There is too much hierarchy within the subject groupings and a very wide range of postings which means that there is a high risk that 'support related' posts may be missed. That is why we put a dedicated support system in place. Please feel free to post issues and bugs here, but please don't expect the company to necessarily post a response. With the support ticketing system, nothing gets missed.

The comment about issues that relate to bugs or style was a general statement about the feedback we have received about release 1.2. Yes, there are certainly bugs, which we will aim to address as quickly as possible. But people also raise issues which relate to the way things work, which in some cases is not always as an individual would prefer it. We find that as in life, our community has people who have firm opinions on how they would like software to operate. The problem is that not everyone has the same opinion and so what pleases one person, may irritate another. We try to base our decisions on deciding the way things will be implemented, upon the weight of opinion, rather than an individual's request. We have many thousands of users and much as we would like to, we cannot please everyone.

Your feedback as with all other feedback is greatly appreciated. We certainly want to make the software as good as we possibly can. We try our hardest, but we are painfully aware that we don't always succeed and unfortunately that leads to some level of frustration (which we can understand) and sometimes anger (which to be frank, we don't).

Finally, I would ask you to try to understand the history of where SDRuno has come from. It evolved from Studio 1, the intellectual rights to which we acquired last year. We inherited a philosophy and approach from Studio 1 and unpicking and changing some of this is a very much bigger task than most people can possibly imagine. It also carries and increased risk of leading to bugs being introduced when we make major changes or even exposing bugs that had always been there, but no one had noticed before.

As an example of this, it turns out, the bugs associated with CW Zap and CW AFC were NOT introduced within release 1.2. They have been there all along and were there in Studio 1 from the very beginning. It was in fact the change to the default window sizing associated with the SP2 display in release 1.2 that exposed a bug that had been there all along.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

pgoelz

Post by pgoelz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 pm

Tech_Support wrote:Your feedback as with all other feedback is greatly appreciated. We certainly want to make the software as good as we possibly can. We try our hardest, but we are painfully aware that we don't always succeed and unfortunately that leads to some level of frustration (which we can understand) and sometimes anger (which to be frank, we don't).

Finally, I would ask you to try to understand the history of where SDRuno has come from. It evolved from Studio 1, the intellectual rights to which we acquired last year. We inherited a philosophy and approach from Studio 1 and unpicking and changing some of this is a very much bigger task than most people can possibly imagine. It also carries and increased risk of leading to bugs being introduced when we make major changes or even exposing bugs that had always been there, but no one had noticed before.

As an example of this, it turns out, the bugs associated with CW Zap and CW AFC were NOT introduced within release 1.2. They have been there all along and were there in Studio 1 from the very beginning. It was in fact the change to the default window sizing associated with the SP2 display in release 1.2 that exposed a bug that had been there all along.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support
Trust me, I am aware of the issues surrounding taking over someone else's software project. Been there, done that and have the T-shirt as we say here in the USA. Until you mentioned it earlier in this thread (I think) I was not fully aware of that situation and I do cut some slack for it. The frustration comes in when the bugs just jump out at me within a minute or two of normal operation. Hence my offhand (but very serious) request to be part of the beta testing force. I am retired now but when I was working, my ability to break any software (even my own) was a very marketable skill ;) I use SDRUno very frequently (mostly via RDP) and consider it the best SDR out there. I'd love to help squash bugs ;)

Going forward, I will use the support system for feedback. Thanks.

Paul

mikri

Post by mikri » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Look like FM radio is not working well. I have tried with two different computers and audio is breaking. Like when you run out of computing power. Sys load is less than 60%
Mika
Last edited by mikri on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.