Is it makes sense to wait RSP2A?

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
DVE

Is it makes sense to wait RSP2A?

Post by DVE » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi SDRPlay team,

I'm pretty happy with my RSP2, especially for using HiZ input (its good for loop antennas).
But RSP1A does not have it, and its a bit disappointing.

So, the question is: is RSP2A with 3 antenna inputs is going to production, or there will be no such model?

PS: 14bit and USB2.0 was cool anyway... 5 years ago in Perseus :) In 2017 I'll expect something like USB3.

Reason: No reason

vk7jj

Re: Is it makes sense to wait RSP2A?

Post by vk7jj » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Comparing the RSP1A with a Perseus?

https://swling.com/blog/2017/11/a-revie ... ned-radio/

DVE

Post by DVE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:25 am

Oh man, its not a Perseus and not a Winradio - its a marketing boolshit :shock:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-review-of-the-sdrplay-rsp1a/
" The RSP1A uses the same ADC chip as the RSP1"

Even if they unlocked decimation in a chip - the same effect can be obtained using decimation on a PC-side.

I was going to upgrade to a "14 bit SDR", but now I will cancel my order - looks like, all "14 bit" effect is the same, as setting the decimation checkbox on a previous model.

And to be honest, its just a linguistic difference, but "12bit + decimation" != "14 bit native ADC". Its really disappointing, that marketing guys using such a dirty tricks.

vk7jj

Post by vk7jj » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 am

Perhaps that's why it's name is RSP1 with an "A" on the end?

I think it's astonishing that such a device as the RSP1A can be created and marketed, along with SDRUno, for US$99.

The amateur radio market is microscopic when compared with the vast number TV dongles yet eBay is full of dongle SDRs that cost much more than $99 with nothing like the RSP's performance and sophistication and no support and no Community Forum.

My heart goes out to the SDRPlay team for the blood sweat and tears that I know goes into such enterprises as theirs and every day that I use my RSP2 I mentally thank them for the huge enjoyment and pleasure I get from their efforts. I thank you for the opportunity you've given me to say so :-)

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am

DVE wrote:Oh man, its not a Perseus and not a Winradio - its a marketing boolshit :shock:

Even if they unlocked decimation in a chip - the same effect can be obtained using decimation on a PC-side.

I was going to upgrade to a "14 bit SDR", but now I will cancel my order - looks like, all "14 bit" effect is the same, as setting the decimation checkbox on a previous model.

And to be honest, its just a linguistic difference, but "12bit + decimation" != "14 bit native ADC". Its really disappointing, that marketing guys using such a dirty tricks.
Which part is "boolshit" ?
And who claimed it's comparable to a 1000$ device like WinRadio?
They've replaced RSP1 with RSP1A with some enhancements (plus getting more out of the same chipset) and without any price increase and they haven't even changed the name (hence the postfix)

DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

DVE

Post by DVE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Bullshil is claiming this device as "native 14bit", while using 12bit ADC.

User will get exactly the same dynamic range, as using the previous model with software enabled decimation. So, for my question "is it makes sense to upgrade RSP2 ...", the answer is "no".

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 pm

DVE wrote:Bullshil is claiming this device as "native 14bit", while using 12bit ADC.

User will get exactly the same dynamic range, as using the previous model with software enabled decimation. So, for my question "is it makes sense to upgrade RSP2 ...", the answer is "no".
Have you read this? It answers a lot of questions:

DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Hello DVE,
I think that perhaps you are misunderstanding some of the basic concepts here. Delta-Sigma ADCs work by starting with a very highly oversampled low resolution ADC (often only 1 bit) and then use hardware decimation filtering to deliver more resolution at a lower sample rate. The ADCs on the msi2500 are sampled initially at several hundred MHz and then decimated to deliver the final native resolution. The quality of the final output from the ADC depends upon several factors, but the resolution of all ADCs of this type is determined by the initial sample rate, the decimation filtering and the linearity of the DAC used in the feedback network.

The is nothing untrue or misleading about the claim of 14 bits for the RSP1A. That is the native resolution for a final sample rate of 2 - 6.047 MHz. If you go above 6.047 MHz then the native resolution goes down.

You are correct in that software decimation can increase resolution further. Each decimation factor of 4 provides and extra 1 bit of resolution, but at the expense of giving you 1/4 of the bandwidth. 2 bits takes you down to 1/16th of the bandwidth.
If you are happy with that, there is no reason to change what you already have.

We do NOT consider the RSP1A to be an upgrade to the RSP2. It is a replacement for the RSP1. The RSP2 has certain features that the RSP1A does not have. The RSP2 also has a lower ultimate noise figure than the RSP1A and so may well work better under certain circumstances at VHF, UHF and L-band.

the RSP1A may well work better at HF than the RSP2, but that is not really because of the 14 bit ADCs. It is more to do with the extra 2 MHz filter that has been added. This substantially helps reduce the spurious responses at long wave and also helps reduce the problems of overload from very strong medium wave AM signals. ADC resolution is just one factor that determines receiver performance.

If you are happy with the performance of your RSP2, then great! We hope you continue to be happy for a long time yet. We will be making continuous improvements and refinements to SDRuno and hope to be continuously improving the experience of RSP ownership for existing customers as well as new customers.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

DVE

Post by DVE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks, if the adc can really work on higher frequency, thats sounds good. You should put the better explanation on the product page, otherwise its really confusing.

When the RSP2A will come, I'll definitely buy it :)