RSP2pro -- nothing but noise

Post your feedback here
Johnsin

RSP2pro -- nothing but noise

Post by Johnsin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:10 am

I attached a 100-ft random wire to the high-z input of my new RSP2pro expecting to hear activity, but I got nothing but noise on all bands. This was a much different experience than the instant results seen on Youtube. Frustrated, I hooked up my reliable 80m doublet and got the same thing -- nothing but noise. However, this same 80m doublet pulls in strong signals on my transceiver.

Looks like I got a dud -- this is my "new user experience". I don't have a lot of free time, and now it's been wasted on this nonsense. Somehow I thought paying $200 I would be getting a reliable, QC'd unit. Nope. I now have to dig up the receipt and send this unit back. That's just great -- I have all the time in the world.

Any advice before I do that?

Thanks,
John
Last edited by Johnsin on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: RSP2pro -- nothing but noise

Post by g1hbe » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:14 am

OK, a couple of things - have you selected the hi-z input? The default antenna is Ant A. Have you followed the antenna connection guide in the manual?

https://www.sdrplay.com/docs/RSP2andRSP ... etv2.2.pdf

Next is frequency selection. Are you sure you are listening on your chosen frequency? Default freq entry is KHz, and if you want to enter MHz you must use the MHz button. Lots of new users get the frequency wrong and end up listening to 3.600 KHz instead of 3.600 MHz and similar errors. Or you can use the band selector buttons which will take you directly to an amateur band.
Duff units are very rare, finger trouble is common! Take your time and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Andy

Johnsin

Post by Johnsin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:07 am

Well, looks like I'm the dud here. I was using HDSDR instead of SDRuno. The radio works fine. HDSDR was a big zero -- not sure why, although I could find no option for changing antennas.

Thanks for antenna A default comment "g1hbe". Your reply made me realize something was up.

I should have figured it was pilot error.

John

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:39 am

No problem John. My name is Andy, BTW.

It's very easy to get lost in a kind of 'fug' of panic, confusion and disappointment when something appears not to be working, and the temptation to randomly press mysterious buttons can make things even worse. Enjoy your RSP, they are pretty good SDR's at any price. Be prepared to buy/construct external filters though, they do suffer images and other ills on some frequencies.

Andy

Johnsin

Post by Johnsin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Thank you for the assistance, Andy. Your comments were helpful.

John
WY7JS
Cody, WY