uVirtualhere and SDRUno

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
William

uVirtualhere and SDRUno

Post by William » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi

I have build my SDRplay with an raspbery pi and an virtualUSB server "virtualHere"
On my PC i'll want to run SDRuno via VirtualUSB client connected to the remote SDRPlay.

Probbely this setup is not supported. Get an errror from SDRuno "Device cannot be initialized" sdrplay_api_servicenotresponding

Is there a way to get this setup working ?
any clues ?

Reason: i want my SDRPlay as close at my antenna as possible to reduse cable losses
(try to receive 1 Ghz)

thanks in advance

regards,
William
Last edited by William on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

TD410

Re: uVirtualhere and SDRUno

Post by TD410 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi,

I'm watching this thread with interest.

I do use my RSP2 duo over USB via TCP/IP with UNO but only with limited sucess, the lastes release seems to have stopped it working though.
I've got as far as being able to use my RSP with a single tuner at 2MHz, with a tinkerboard as the client after a kernal recomplie and a lot of fiddling.
(A tinkerboard SBC will throw data around gigabit in excess of USB2 speeds unlike a Pi.)

Device of this nature uses a perticular mode of USB that not all "sharing" Apps support.

However, Using soapy, I can use the full 10MHz, so proves it is possible on my hardware. (tinkerboard/Cisco Managed switches with Fibre/Win10 Client.)

If a version of RSP with gigabit ethernet was put on the market, I'd probably buy two tomorrow !

Hope that helps some.
Mark
Last edited by TD410 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Ian S

Post by Ian S » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm

I’ve just spent a day playing with VirtualHere and my RSP2, and I’m not impressed.

My normal setup is Sdruno running on a Win 10 virtual machine under parallels on a Mac. I use a 10m repeated USB cable. This set up works very well. However I would like to remote my RSP away from the house to reduce noise.

I was drawn to VirtualHere because of the article linked from their website saying rtl dongles can be run remotely https://www.rtl-sdr.com/using-the-virtu ... e-rtl-sdr/ So I thought it should work with my RSP. VirtualHere appear to claim you can remote any USB device.

I’ve tried the basic VH app on a raspberry pi 3B and a 3B+, and none of my apps, Sdruno, cubic sdr and dump 1090, will see the RSP. nor will cubic sdr on my Mac see the won’t see the RSP. My pis are connected by an Ethernet cable to the same switch as my Mac. The VirtualHere client shows the RSP as a just a number rather than a device such as a mouse. My Win 10 VM manages to recognise it. As soon as I run Sdruno the rsp disappears from the list of USB devices and Sdruno fails to launching as it can’t see the RSP. Other dives say the api has failed.

I’ve also tried the VirtualHere CloudHub on a pi 3B. My Win 10 VM sees it and Sdruno runs, but the audio is horrible, and unusable. Cubic sdr runs, but again with poor audio. Again Cubic Sdr on my Mac can’t see the Rsp.

I’ve only used the free versions of VirtualHere, but as these have been totally useless I don’t think I’ll bother paying $49 for a device optimised version. If any of the tests were close to working I might have been tempted, or if someone has managed to get it to work please let me know and I might splash out for a full version.

So I think I’ll go down the rpi route to remote my rsp and use something like cubic sdr. My preference is to use , but that currently doesn’t support any form of remote connection.
Last edited by Ian S on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Ian S

Post by Ian S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am

Having done some more tests, I’ve discovered that VirtualHere connected to my RSP2 tries to push over 100Mb/s through the network. I’m impressed that a Pi3b can sustain 100Mb/s on its Ethernet port. But this isn’t enough to run an RSP2.

I’m now using a Pi3b running SDRplay’s Pi image to remotely control my RSP2. and depending what I’m doing I either use a Win10 machine or a Pi3b+ to run apps.

I’ve found that Soapy remote running with a 2.048MHz sample rate generates 60+Mb/s. This was too much for the first Ethernet switch I deployed. Despite claiming to be a Fast Ethernet switch it couldn’t cope. So I swapped it out for a Gi-E switch.

So I now use CubicSDR under Win10 for general listening. Virtual Radar Server, on a Pi in my study, I’m happy to leave this small device running 24/7 rather than a full blown PC. And I’ve been running QT-Dab on the remote Pi that’s hosting my RSP2. To get the audio back from the remote Pi I’m using a USB codec and VirtualHere on a Pi-Zero W. This runs at about 850 kb/s and gives good quality audio.

I understand that SDRUNO version 1.4 will support remote RSPs and version 2 will be cross platform. I’m looking forward to trying these out as I think SDRUNO is the best software for the RSPs
Last edited by Ian S on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.