AD9850-ARDUINO Interconnect

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
Jimjrjjrj

Re: AD9850-ARDUINO Interconnect

Post by Jimjrjjrj » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Mike,

I noted the same fall-off in sine wave output compared to the square wave out on my 9850. I attributed this to the LP filtering used to convert the square wave to a sine wave. I think I saw on a YouTube video somewhere this is "normal"

Jimjrjjrj
WA8MPA
Last edited by Jimjrjjrj on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:45 am

Jimjrjjrj wrote:Mike,

I noted the same fall-off in sine wave output compared to the square wave out on my 9850. I attributed this to the LP filtering used to convert the square wave to a sine wave. I think I saw on a YouTube video somewhere this is "normal"

Jimjrjjrj
WA8MPA
Hi Jim and MIke

The fall in amplitude with an increase in frequency is normal. This link explains what is happening.

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app- ... vp/id/3853

Devices like the AD9910 have in-built compensation to counteract the sin(x)/x affect.

The analogue output from the DDS is fed back to an uncommitted comparator on the DDS chip. This is used to produce the square wave outputs. There is a trim-pot on the board that is used to set the wave's symmetry, and if not set correctly can result in no output at all - As I spent some time finding out :oops:

Steve

darec

Post by darec » Sun May 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi guys,

Are you able to connect Trackgen with arduinouno and ad9850 combo to Spectrum Analyser?
Somehow I can not make it working together ie the proper arduino port is listed among other com ports in the Spectrum Analyser soft however when I choose arduino one I cant change the status box from red to green.

In addition I connected to the Arduino terminal interface and it is apparent that the uploaded hex is working...AD9850 is recognized, CONNECT returns “CONNECTED-1” to “CONNECTED-5”.....what is strange when i use GETPINS it returns only zeros for all pins.

Any idea how to fix it?

Darek
Last edited by darec on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi Steve,

In June 2018 I have succesfully experimented with the DDS-module AD9851/Arduino-UNO in combination with the RSP SAS-SPECTRUM Analyser software V 0.9. And with the use of your HEX-file “DDS_tracking_Uno.hex” of June 2018.
Recently I found your new RSP-SPECTRUM Analyser software V 1.0 and installed it.
After installation I found also a new map “Andrew Developments” with three Hex files in de submap RSP-Spectrum Analyser/ArduinoFirmware. I used X-loader.exe to upload file Trackgen_Uno.hex into the Arduino_UNO. Then I launched RSP-Spectrum Analyser.exe and pressed the Start button of the program. I pressed the Track gen button and then the right COM port (same as in June 2018). Red square. All buttons except the COM port selector in this Track gen section are not grayed out but can not be selected.
Opening the menu under Options tells there is no Tracking generator connected.
Then I closed the RSP-SPECTRUM Analyser program and launched the Arduino IDE.
With the communication window (115200 baud) I tried some of the Trackgen Commands like:
-”VERSION”. Trackgen answered “Trackgen V1.1 - Uno AD9850”
-“GETPINS” Trackgen answered “R:10 D:11 C:13 U:9 S:8”
-”GETDDSTYPE” Trackgen answered “DDSTYPE=1” (w.o. using SETDDSTYPE=1 before)

Apparently there is communication, but not from the spectrum analyser program.

When I read the thread of Jim WA8MPA (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4336#p14769) then I think I have a similar issue.

Steve wrote: Try selecting the Arduino comm port a couple of times - does the red box turn to green ? My answer is No.

Jim is using, I think, the Trackgen_Mega2560.hex and I am using for my Arduino Uno the Trackgen_Uno.hex file, so I think the 2560 code is OK as well as the UNO code, but is the problem elsewhere in the comms link?

By the way, Steve, you wrote in your manual v1.0a that when using the trackgen commands with a terminal program to set the baudrate to 115,200. Does that mean that in the Spectrum Analyser program can only communicate with that baudrate (perhaps a stupid question of me)?

Best regards,
Kees

Kees_01

Post by Kees_01 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 am

Hi Steve,

Following on my thread of yesterday I have also installed RSP-SpectrumAnalyser V1.0a on a laptop with Windows 10 (64 bits), the Arduino IDE and Xloader.
I uploaded Trackgen_Uno.hex from the Andrew Development submap successfully. Unfortunately also on the laptop there was no connection with Track gen reported from RSP-SpectrumAnalyser V1.0a. But with the serial monitor of Arduino I could communicate with the Trackgen "as usual" even when I played with the (advanced) settings of the COM port, such as 4 Databits, Parity Even or Odd, 2 stopbits as well as playing with FiFo Buffer Low setting of Rx- and Tx buffer. Trying these experiments under control of RSP-Spectrumanalyser then the square remains red.
When I use the Arduino IDE to send some commands as showed in your manual then commands like CONNECT, VERSION GETDDSTYPE etc. are working, but when I send for example SPOTF=3500000 then nothing happens at the Trackgen Output. With a scope ( 1 MOhm input) I measured a (bit distorted) sinewave of 15 MHz and about 0,7 Vtt on the Track gen output. That signal is there as soon as the Arduino is physically connected to the COM port. So it has nothing to do with a command that is sent to the Track gen.
I hope these experiments may help you to find the solution for the communication with the Trackgen from the RSP-SpectrumAnalyser program, although I have the impression, reading the first page of your manual under Known Problems, that you have already found what is causing this issue.

Best regards,
Kees

KI7MWA

Post by KI7MWA » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Just curious how y'all are powering the AD9850 board...off the Arduino 5V pin, off the breadboard rail...?
Last edited by KI7MWA on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:41 pm

I've done it both ways.

vk2byf

Post by vk2byf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:57 am

I got the Analizer software working nicely but I cannot find the link to the build instructions for the tracking generator.
I have ordered the Arduino mega 2560 but have not yet ordered the ad9850 as I can't work out which version is the right one for the mega2560.
I have not been able to find the link for the assembly instruction. It is obvious from looking at the pin out of the AD9850 DDS and the Mega2560 that this is not going to be a simple plug and play exercise.
I would appreciate if someone could post the link to the assembly instructions or point me in the right direction.
I have a whole bunch of home-made filters and duplexors I'd like to test. I have been using a wideband noise source in the past which is not very accurate and a very slow process. Thanks for your help.
Bob vk2byf
Last edited by vk2byf on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Jimjrjjrj

Post by Jimjrjjrj » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Guys,
Just an update on version 1.0b and the 9850 DDS. I have installed the 1.0b software and it runs successfully on a Windows 10 Toshiba. I also have the Tracking Generator software running on a Arduino 2560 Mega. The Arduino is working correctly with a AD 9850 DDS and a 9851 DDS upgrade. I am playing around with a sketch to also work with a LCD shield to display data.

Thanks Steve for the new beta version.

Jim
WA8MPA
Last edited by Jimjrjjrj on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

on7ir

Post by on7ir » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi all, I wrote a blog article about building, connecting and loading Arduino+AD9851 (or AD9850) as tracking generator.
Hope it helps answering some questions and encourage to build one yourself.

Rudi ON7IR
Last edited by on7ir on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.