General problem with SDRplay .pdf generation

General discussions
octave9

General problem with SDRplay .pdf generation

Post by octave9 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:47 am

There seems to be something very wrong with the way pdf files are created for us users.

I first noticed it in the 'Non - Windows Work Flow' document, when I tried to cut and paste directly from my (Firefox 53.0 64-bit) browser's rendition. Lines which display as lines have line breaks within them when copied. Which could have unexpected (damaging even) results when pasted to a user's command line interface.

Downloading the file and reading it in one's own choice of document viewer somewhat alleviates the problem, but it doesn't solve it for all lines which may be pasted. A long CMAKE line still splits into three from the doc mentioned above, but it really shouldn't be that way, especially when the problem spoils the general look. Those superfluous spaces and line breaks can be seen even in the shiny new User Manual and there are very many.

Just on Page 2 - "Basics and Conc epts", "Virtual Receiver (V RX)", “quick brows er”.

The gaps show up as spaces if copied from FF, but as line breaks from the pdf itself. I guess it doesn't matter, unless looks are important (which certainly seems true for SDRuno), or unless they occur in a line intended to be entered to a cli as mentioned.

Reason: No reason

octave9

Re: General problem with SDRplay .pdf generation

Post by octave9 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 pm

Still can't edit posts, so:

I see the 'Non - Windows Work Flow' document has been fixed with back slashes where the very long command line was splitting. Thanks for that.

mikeladd

Re: General problem with SDRplay .pdf generation

Post by mikeladd » Fri May 05, 2017 3:11 pm

The same copy and paste issues happen in Chrome as well. This is not from the PDF itself but from the built it Acrobat Reader engine built into the browser.