RSP2 + gnuradio + airband = no big success :-(

General discussions
raymondmichiels

RSP2 + gnuradio + airband = no big success :-(

Post by raymondmichiels » Fri May 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Hello everybody,

I've been able to get my RSP2 to work with gnuradio (on Linux) to receive airband signals, but reception so far is very poor. In gnuradio's "waterfall display" I can clearly see a carrier at e.g. 121.2 MHz, but the quality of the received audio is usually very poor. Even when the carrier is 40 dB above the noise floor (which it often isn't) the audio level is still very low.

Now gnuradio has a gazillion building blocks, each with a slew of settings, so I'm sure I have a "sub-optimal" flow, but no matter what I try, at best I get pilots drowned in noise.

Does anybody here have any experience with receiving airband using gnuradio? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Raymond.

PS: I'm using a simple 4-ft (120 cm) antenna, thinking that would do for the 118-138 MHz band.
Last edited by raymondmichiels on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrom33

Re: RSP2 + gnuradio + airband = no big success :-(

Post by sdrom33 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:16 am

Hi Raymond, it is my experience that in many areas giant FM station signals do exist and they can badly overload and / or desensitize the RSP receiver. Make sure you use the FM notch when on the airband and if this is not enough use an external filter to blot out the FM band completely.

Lopez6

Re: RSP2 + gnuradio + airband = no big success :-(

Post by Lopez6 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:00 am

Agreed.Using FM notch becomes the concern of utmost importance here,as it enhances the possibilty of sucess in project..Do the same and it should help u..Thanks
Last edited by Lopez6 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.