Parting thoughts

General discussions
sdrom33

Re: Parting thoughts

Post by sdrom33 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi Noel, I am sorry if you took offence at my polite suggestion. I was warning you about the length of your submissions, but never criticized the quality of the material you submitted, which could indeed be of help to us all. What I wanted to put across to you is that too much is not better, but worse, as it obscures what you wish to say. Trying to say what you wish to say with a few words is surely a very good exercise for the mind. You do not need to say it all in one post. Perhaps, if you say it in three posts, rather than one, it is better. Less is more. Why leave, if you enjoy being with us, who share with you this passion for radio?

Reason: No reason

jyduchene

Post by jyduchene » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:54 pm

Noel, I am writing to ask you to reconsider. I have enjoyed you through and well written posts. I am a 70 yr old shortwave listener with no background in engineering or math. I am thwarted by detailed graphs demonstrating concepts beyond my comprehension and interest. Your reports are accessible and a pleasant read. You clearly have competence in engineering but also a gift for the written word. Don’t abandon those of us to pages of graphs which require an explanation of the explanation. I for one appreciate your knowledge and you talent with prose. To sdrom33 you can just pass over posts you don’t wish to read. Good information should be valued.
Last edited by jyduchene on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:54 am

For (the probably sadly departed) Noel
Your inputs were obviously appreciated by some, including myself and I would like to say thank you for them.
They were well written and obviously interesting to some of us who cared to read them.
I was under the impression that one could choose to read, or not, posts on this forum so there shouldn't have been any cause for complaint or comment, other than appreciation or meaningful contribution.
Whilst freedom of expression is to be cherished, negativity is rarely helpful or appreciated.
I will not comment further, other than to make a plea to leave control of content to the moderators.

M0RON

Post by M0RON » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 am

Sorry to see you leave Noel, but I understand your views.
For what it's worth I was, no longer, a member of an amateur radio club in Gloucester, UK. I and a couple of others found that the training was poor and we decided to do something about it and help noobies. This involved changing the way training was delivered, resulting in better pass marks and 100% pass rate. We were a young group and our classes became very popular to the annoyance of the old guard who always do it this way and achieve nothing other than to put off anyone wanting to do anything other than banal nets on the air.
Anyway, I and others left and are no longer in a club, best thing we did.
So although not strictly related to your situation I am trying to say that in radio hobby world you will find plenty of people who don't agree with you and are holier than thou, especially on forums.
You may return and read these supporting posts and change your mind and if you do great, if not, fully understood. And yes, whoever said about graphs, perhaps they should be published elsewhere where they are appreciated by those who want to see such things, I suspect they appeal to a minority.
Andy

sdrom33

Post by sdrom33 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:15 am

The play of opinions and comments is the salt of this forum, in fact of any community based on freedom of expression. In this way all of us are enriched by the experience and views of one another, the only limit being politeness and well meaning towards your fellow and I do not believe well meaning was missing from my post to Noel.

Everyday one expresses criticism and/or opinions different to those of the other guy, and under a typical situation an interesting and rewarding interplay rises to the advantage of all. On the contrary, if all guys, as soon as they read on the forum a polite opinion they do not like about their posts, erased all they have published and quit, then probably no forum would exist.

Apart from this, the most frightening proposal comes from Paul, who says that the "control of contents must be left to the moderators". Yes, the control of politeness and spite, not the control of opinions. I also wish to remark that some of you guys, with the laudable intent of "supporting" Noel, in reality have implicitly expressed an opinion on his work he will surely dislike. Noel is studying for a PHD degree and the contents and references of many of his, alas, lengthy posts, are highly technical and require a lot of technical expertise to be understood: so, what are we talking about? The issue here, that nobody seems to have understood, is the value of conciseness, not the level of Noel's know how, which nobody questioned.

I also see there seem to be a general dislike about "graphs" and technology to the point that these "indecent" pieces of information should be posted somewhere else: very remarkable, as I thought I was in a forum devoted to Radio Technology.

Finally I believe that in any case one must always be man enough to defend his deeds. You can always flee from a forum, but never from yourself.

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 am

I am not surprised by Noel's strange and puzzling behavior. Some time ago I wrote a post about remoting the RSP receivers by means of USB cables, after a long search to find a suitable one. Noel commented with torrential posts where he was describing untold potential dangers by lightning, really taking the matter out of its natural context. When I replied I did not agree, he just removed his posts and this was the end of it.....Why, anybody is entitled to his ideas, so really this "digital" YES/NO approach is very strange, at least to me.

https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... ble#p11652

Here is the thread. What did Noel write? Nobody can now tell, as the text is gone forever...

I see graphs tend to annoy some Forum dwellers. Since I have uploaded many, I shall try to use lesser numbers, even though, as President Mao once said: "a picture is worth one thousand words".

ON5HB

Post by ON5HB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Nobody is forced to read other people's replies.

You can choose to simply ignore them and move on.

On every forum in the world there will be people that post stuff that other don't like.

Walk the dog, ignore it and be happy is my way.

In the end you are just reading a screen and you do not know who the other is, let alone how his mood was when he wrote it.
Never trust text to be the way you feel about it to be correct, it's often wrongly interpreted and fights start over nothing.

Sad to see you go, but take my advise: Don't let the screen get to you as it will happen all over the internet no matter where you go.

sdrom33

Post by sdrom33 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi Ian, thanks for your post and for giving us a glimpse of Noel's background. Please be assured there are no wars in our Forum and very, very seldom, according to my experience, there are personal issues among Forum members. Even my (unfortunate?) observation about brevity was not posted maliciously, but with the genuine intent to help Noel, in short, to make him see his work from a different viewpoint. His response to my post, not only surprised me, but also made me, at first, feel somehow guilty. Perhaps if Noel told me to mind my own business, instead of blowing the works up, we would all be in a more positive situation in this circumstance.

Thomas

vk7jj

Post by vk7jj » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:23 pm

Posting in internet forums has become not-nice.

I posted two articles on this forum some time ago which resulted in a tirade of anonymous emails sent to my private email address by a totally irrational person who ended up threatening me with just about everything he/she could think of and who submitted my email address to every spam-bot on the planet.

The level of animosity was personal and threatening and I was told it was because I had suggested or implied that mains earthing was a bad thing because it contributed to RFI and that I was encouraging people to break the law.

I've still no idea who it was and I'm not implying it was anyone on this thread and or on this forum, it was likely one of those people who doesn't join things or participate but who reads and rages in their own mental cages.

This is my first post since then, so to the people on this thread please beware of any discussion of mandatory or non-mandatory earths or you may end up like I did.

Phil.

vk7jj

Post by vk7jj » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:05 am

Sheesh one needs to be careful: sdrom33, please don't think the opening line of my post above was directed at you, it was to my stalker who has hopefully moved on. You echoed my own thoughts re. long posts in general and I can't see that you have said anything that was not meant to be constructive and helpful. It's a shame so many things end in tears these days.