Electric Fences

General discussions
VK3MHZ

Electric Fences

Post by VK3MHZ » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:15 am

Does anyone have an effective solution (apart from turning it off!) to rid ones self of electric fence 'ticks'.
Unfortunately one of the downsides to being on a farm with lots of space is typically lots of electric fences, miles of the damn things. I believe this is a pretty beastly unit at around 8Kv or better.

Any tips on how to get rid of it?
It effects long-wave the worst, funnily enough I have not noticed it on the MW band. Certain spots on HF it effects to, but nowhere near as bad as on LW.
Last edited by VK3MHZ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

F1BJB

Re: Electric Fences

Post by F1BJB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

LW needs a long aerial the fence in that case.
I would try feeding the fence with a grounded 11 mm coaxial cable with a serial coil on the device side.
The coaxial cable acting as the capacitor of this basic low-pass filter.
Coil could be replaced by a resistor.
Last edited by F1BJB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

VK3MHZ

Post by VK3MHZ » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:24 am

F1BJB wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm
LW needs a long aerial the fence in that case.
I would try feeding the fence with a grounded 11 mm coaxial cable with a serial coil on the device side.
The coaxial cable acting as the capacitor of this basic low-pass filter.
Coil could be replaced by a resistor.
Thanks.
Problem is I am not using a fence, unless I wanted to inject 8+ Kv into the RSP probably not a good idea, when it rains and the posts get wet all the fence wires become live.

I have a 105m long-wire, but a small run of the long-wire is close in proximity to the electric fence and where it commonly arcs over (the arc cannot be easily fixed or I would have done it).

SDRnerd

Post by SDRnerd » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:18 am

Hi, I have a Beverage antenna partly running 100 meter close to a electric @ 2 meters distance, so it is quite simular to your problem. This antenna is used for MW, LW and VLF. The only salvation I found for coping with the strong pulses is the Noise Blanker of SDRconsole. You can find it when going to the "Home" tab and clicking on the Noise Blanker Wide DSP, NOT the Noise Blanker on the DSP field left of the screen as this one is another animal. You can click to change the variables and be shure to set the Threshold to go higher than 2 to 3. You can also play with the Slew, Pre and Post action to fine tune the result.

You cannot get rid of all the pulses but if you make a good setting only the lowest 10 to 15 kHz will stay affected. Simon has implemented this specific algoritm on request of the users and it works fine after you get the hang of it.

Good luck,
Ron
Last edited by SDRnerd on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

VK3MHZ

Post by VK3MHZ » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:20 am

SDRnerd wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:18 am
The only salvation I found for coping with the strong pulses is the Noise Blanker of SDRconsole. You can find it when going to the "Home" tab and clicking on the Noise Blanker Wide DSP, NOT the Noise Blanker on the DSP field left of the screen as this one is another animal.
I am using v1.32 and do not see a home button or any of the features you described. I have all windows populated.

I have recently purchased a G5RV, still debating where to erect it. Want to try and keep it as far away from the fences as I can. Unfortunately I am surrounded by them. The problem does become worse when there is any form of rain or moisture, as it arcs across the insulator nearest to my shack. I believe that is where most of my problems lay. I have mentioned the possibility of replacing the insulator, I won't enlighten you with the response I got, leave that for your imagination.

I may try re-routing the long wire to keep it as far from the fence as possible.