New to the Forum

General discussions
MDYoungblood

New to the Forum

Post by MDYoungblood » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi,
My name is Greg, go by "MDYoungblood" or just "MDY", I am new to the forum but not to the radio world.

I am a moderator on TWRC (The World Radio Club (.us)), an admin on CBRT (CB Radio Talk (.com)) and member to several other radio related forums, both ham and CB. I was surfing the web when I saw one for SDR radio (SDRPlay RSP1) which I've been using for a couple years but getting the settings right, finding a usable antenna, and just being overwhelmed by some of the programs can give you a headache.

Hope I can find the info I'm looking for and maybe give some advice on things I have already figured out.
BTW, @ admin, didn't see a "Welcome" topic for new members, would make a nice addition.

Greg/MDY
Last edited by MDYoungblood on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason
MDY listening to the World

Paul

Re: New to the Forum

Post by Paul » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:31 am

Quick answer MDY: Open Main Panel - select OPT - User Manual (Not being patonising - but if you didn't know it was available there...).
It is also available on SDRplay.com - Downloads.
Aside from that if you experience problems, there are, at least historically have been, many knowledgeable and helpful people on here (I don't include myself in that description) who always stand ready to help.
If you ask for assistance, it is always helpful to post an image of your RSP setup in your messages.
If you have a seemingly intractable problem, you can raise a "Support Ticket," which the ever responsive, very patient development team will respond to pretty promptly (they are indeed excellent).
Best of luck and enjoy the kit!
Last edited by Paul on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

VK3MHZ

Post by VK3MHZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:45 am

Greg/MDY;

Welcome to the forums.
Not sure what software you are using to drive the SDR you have, which I guess by what you write is an RSP1. I have an RSP and use the SDRUno software exclusively on the RSP. It can be a bit overwhelming at first getting your head around all the various options and settings and understanding what they do and how they may effect other settings.

Antenna selection is the easy part - one that is resonant on the band you are listening to.
For starters, if you are mainly interested in VHF/UHF a discone is the easiest solution. For HF, pretty hard to beat a dipole for ease of construction and cost. Most people have enough wire laying around and something that can be used as an insulator for the center and ends.
Last edited by VK3MHZ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Thanks Paul, I haven't used the "Help" on SDRPlay website yet, been playing with the controls and figuring things out for myself, HDSDR is the easiest and SDRuno is really tough, not for the novice for sure. I have downloaded all the programs off the SDRPlay website, like SDR Console the best.

Hey Stewart, you are right about SDRuno being overwhelming but in my old age I only get frustrated with my arthritis not letting me work on my radio gear. I am using a Diamond D130J Discone (30ft up) for most of the bands and a homemade 73ft end fed balun (30ft as well, inverted V) for the HF bands. I can also switch it over on any of my ham/CB antennas. I just purchased a used Icom IC-7100 that came with a panadapter (PAT Board), need to install it in the radio. I'll be asking questions about using a dongle with that too.

73 for now,

Greg/MDY
Last edited by MDYoungblood on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
MDY listening to the World