Choppy audio with Linux and CubicSDR?

General discussions
E63S4Me

Choppy audio with Linux and CubicSDR?

Post by E63S4Me » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:39 pm

I have a RSPduo and have installed Ubuntu Linux in a VM on my Mac. Followed the work flow instructions to get CubicSDR running and it does see the RSPduo device and can see signals and tune them in OK. The audio however is choppy, sounding like is is being gated on/off every few hundred milliseconds.

The only audio option I see in the dropdown box is Pulse Audio.

As additional info, I have the RSPduo working fine with CubicSDR on native OS X. It's also working ok using SDRPlay and SDRConsole on Windows 10.
Last edited by E63S4Me on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

mikeladd

Re: Choppy audio with Linux and CubicSDR?

Post by mikeladd » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Why run Cubic in a VM on your mac when Cubic has a native DMG installer?

corq

Re: Choppy audio with Linux and CubicSDR?

Post by corq » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 pm

I've observed similar choppy audio on my LAN with SoapySDRplay as the server even with the new Raspberry Pi Image, typically I lower the "Sample Rate" in the GUI of CubicSDR before starting the device. I've read various 3rd party posts about adjusting frame buffers and such but nothing I've tried so far produces consistent results. This seems like it was not an issue with previous versions (17.04 variants) of ubuntu. Only conjecture on my part, but even streaming on my local LAN has been pretty fussy, and sometimes the CubicSDR UI will straight up freeze and then crash on the local desktop.

Note this is a regular install of Ubuntu, not virtualized so I suspect there's some network connection optimization for the streaming bandwidth I need to look into.

I also own a CloudIQ, and it's similarly fussy with GQRX and even it's native app under Wine. Still investigating here.
Last edited by corq on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.