Multiple Bands on SDR Play

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
W9KJO

Multiple Bands on SDR Play

Post by W9KJO » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:50 pm

How to I get additional VRX's to tune more than one ham band at a time? AS demonstrated on some videos.

I'm sure it must be a setting somewhere. I'm just not finding it.

73 W9KJO
Last edited by W9KJO on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: Multiple Bands on SDR Play

Post by sdrplay » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:15 pm

VRX0 controls the hardware frequency. Set that to the centre of the bandwidth you want to look at and then other VRXs slave from that...

e.g.

VRX0 set to 100MHz with 10MHz bandwidth
VRX1 can be set to 95MHz
VRX2 can be set to 105MHz

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

W9KJO

Post by W9KJO » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:46 am

Ok, that being said, I read through the manual and did not see anything on setting bandwidth. I may have missed it.

I see a BW setting in the Main control. I'm not sure how to set it, if that is it and what parameters are actually allowed.

Could someone help with a little more info?

Thanks

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:05 am

The BW field in the main window specifies the amount of spectrum (bandwidth) you want to visualise at any one time. The range is 0.25MHz to 10MHz - all VRX frequencies must sit within that bandwidth. I gave an example of that in my earlier post.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

Misterj

Post by Misterj » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:06 am

W9KJO, I just highlight the default setting (2 MHz) in BW window and type in a number and hit Enter. I do not know what the limits are and would suggest trying different values. In the upper right of the main dialog is SR (Sample Rate, I suspect). It seems to follow BW and I do not understand why. My main method of figuring things out is just trying things till I get a better understanding. Hovering the mouse over a settings often brings up a definition. Enjoy, John.

W9KJO

Post by W9KJO » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:56 am

Ok Thanks

dsalomon

Post by dsalomon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:07 pm

The only SDR that I'm aware of that allows multiple receivers on different bands (i.e. outside of the single range handled by the DDC) is the Flex series. Even those radios, it might only be the higher end ones that provide that ability. I'm not exactly sure how they do that - maybe multiple DDCs? If anyone reading this has a Flex radio and knows this answer, I would love to hear it. Their top end, the Flex-6700 claims to be able to handle up to 8 simultaneous slices simultaneously. The Flex-6500 handles 4. From what I've read, those slices can be in different bands. Maybe that's why they're so expensive. The chips that do the DDC are VERY expensive. A SDR is primarily composed of a DDC (that receives and converts the signal) and a FPGA (that processes the signal). Both of those chips are VERY expensive components. From what I've seen, more expensive SDRs have more expensive DDCs and FPGAs, both of which can handle more bandwidth and process faster.

That's why some people gravitate to SDRs with wider bandwidths, like the RSP with its 10MHz bandwidth - to be able to listen to wider areas with multiple receivers simultaneously. I might be recording one or two signals and listening to another.

Simon Brown also puts out excellent software, his SDR Console, that allows multiple simultaneous receivers. His software, like SDRUno is limited to the bandwidth of the receiver. SDRUno has a few more features than Simon's SDR Console, but it's also somewhat more complex. I've read posts from people about how difficult SDRUno is to use. The truth is, that if you spend a bit of time reading and using it, it will become second nature to use, just like anything else you practice routinely. I found it difficult initially, but now everything makes perfect sense.

Sorry everyone....went off into the weeds (as I often do). I hope the information was useful to someone. J

73 - David, AG4F

W9KJO

Post by W9KJO » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:26 pm

When I expanded the BW to 10 the receiver started skipping. I can go to 6.0 without a skip which allows 80m and 40m but the results were no where as impressive as the videos posted online. The drawback of such a large BW is the amount of processor used. The usage jumps way up, so it is not very practical. I have a powerful PC too, 6 core AMD black series with tons of ram.

So, the big draw for me in this SDR, Multiple Bands, may not be a reality.

Unless, those who posted videos showing Multiple Bands in operation can tell us how to refine this in the software.

Thanks

W9KJO

Misterj

Post by Misterj » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:53 pm

W9KJO, I suggest another SW, such as SDR-Radio. I know it does multiple receivers but also try HDSDR which may not do multiple receivers (maybe two) but will be easier on the CPU. Enjoy, John.

W9KJO

Post by W9KJO » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:56 pm

My only purpose for buying the SDRPLay was multiple VFO's on multiple bands. I have no use for this device other wise.