Differences between ports A & B

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
KC8SQC

Differences between ports A & B

Post by KC8SQC » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 am

Is it safe to assume that HF performance on ports A & B should be the same? I'm receiving fine on port B, but port A is dead on HF. Identical gain settings, etc. Port B is working fine on VHF. Is this typical behavior?

73! Paul - KC8SQC
Last edited by KC8SQC on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: Differences between ports A & B

Post by g1hbe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:34 am

Hi Paul. A and B are exactly the same on my RSP2, both work on HF and VHF/UHF. Don't forget you have to select them with the switch on the MAIN panel.

Andy

KC8SQC

Post by KC8SQC » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks - that's what I expected. I've got a new unit and am wondering if there is something more nefarious going on, when switching the same HF antenna from port A to port B, and leaving all settings the same except changing the antenna port in SDRUno, I'm getting very different results.

I'm going to toy with this more tonight and make sure I'm not overlooking something silly.

13dka

Post by 13dka » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:48 pm

There should be no differences between port A and B...

- when you don't forget to switch to the input your antenna is currently connected to,

- and your frequency is still the same, above 1.5MHz,

- and you remember checking if RF gain and IF gain are producing the same gain/gain reduction (which may change when you switch a number of things, which is a bug currently being worked on).

KC8SQC

Post by KC8SQC » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:32 am

Thanks all - I did more testing tonight and am noticing port A is deaf on HF, and weak on VHF when compared port B. Identical settings, antenna, coax, ect., except for switching the antenna connector between ports and changing to the correct antenna in SDRUno. I've also noticed that my HI Z port is pretty much deaf, with a 50' random wire I'm not even picking up AM broadcast stations at any gain.

I sent a note to the good folks at support and will see if they have suggestions.

13dka

Post by 13dka » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:55 am

That sounds a bit like something went wrong when you installed SDRuno (which also installs the hardware drivers for the RSP2), Besides contacting support I'd start with disconnecting the RSP2, then rebooting the computer and reinstalling the latest SDRuno version with the device still disconnected.

NN4F

Post by NN4F » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:09 am

If a reinstall doesn't work, perhaps undo the case and check the port A cable didn't come loose from the board, they are connected using u.fl connectors...

Paul - NN4F

--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

NiXoN555

Post by NiXoN555 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:44 am

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem with ports that you described in this thread. Tell me, please, how did you solve this issue?
Last edited by NiXoN555 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrom33

Post by sdrom33 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:46 am

Hi guys, there is a very well known bug with SDRplay, when you change the antenna input connection, sometimes the software does not respond and you have to switch again among inputs until it "takes". Perhaps this is the difficulty you have, as there could be a max imbalance of less than 1 db among inputs. If difference persists, you should open a ticket as sometimes one socket starts turning and gets disconnected (happened to me).