Sure hard to get sdr-uno running and learn how to setup rigs on rsp2

Post your feedback here
ghidley@ucsd.edu

Sure hard to get sdr-uno running and learn how to setup rigs on rsp2

Post by ghidley@ucsd.edu » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:34 am

Been at it on and off weeks now. Have read so many blogs, posts and of course the documentation and SDR-Uno seems very hard to setup and use. Have had SDR-14 and RTL dongles and used SDR Console, SDRSharp, Spectravue etc. and all seemed more intuitive and user friendly. I am trying to setup a RSP2 with a kenwood TS590 RX feed (via Elad switch) to port A of RSP2 and a Icom R8500 (via IF out) to port B. I can sort of get the Kenwood control to work (setup Omnirig for both Kenwood and Icom) but cannot get the Icom to respond to changes (frequency, for example) in SDR-Uno. SDR-Uno always starts with the errors VRX#0: The specified com device doesn't exist or is already open (and same error for VRX#1). Have verified other programs can control the R8500 with same com port settings as Omnirig is setup for and SDR-Uno RX control (setting->CAT window) is set to.

I guess I could just go to SDR Console, but I wanted to give SDR-Uno a chance first.

Have an advanced degree in Computer Science, decades of IT experience, and I am an Amateur expert ... but this seems way harder than it should be.

Any pointers you may have would be appreciate ... I am not giving up yet!

thanks
greg, KJ6HOV
Last edited by ghidley@ucsd.edu on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Roger

Re: Sure hard to get sdr-uno running and learn how to setup rigs on rsp2

Post by Roger » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:34 pm

The user manual has a section covering how to set up SDRuno to work with an external rig. There are also several videos on the SDRplay YouTube channel. Here are a few pointers to get you going.

1. Setup OmniRig with the two receivers and make sure you use the recommended baud rate, parity and number of stop bits recommended for each rig you are using.

2. In the Main window under SETTings you will find the ORIG tab. Make sure your Kenwood and Icom are online or OmniRig is not setup correctly.

3. Each VRX can connect to only one OmniRig device at a time. You select Rig1 or Rig2 under SETTings in VRX0 or VRX1. Check the options as shown below. If you look in the Main Window SETTings you can see which VRX is assigned to Rig1 and Rig2.

4. You need to activate the control of the rig for the VRX by clicking RSYN1 or RSYN 2 in the title bar of the VRX as shown below.

Hope this helps - Roger
omniset.png
omniset.png (208.01 KiB) Viewed 12360 times

ghidley@ucsd.edu

Re: Sure hard to get sdr-uno running and learn how to setup rigs on rsp2

Post by ghidley@ucsd.edu » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:14 am

Thanks you Roger!
Last edited by ghidley@ucsd.edu on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.