FTDX3000 Panadapter using IF OUT

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
frastephen

FTDX3000 Panadapter using IF OUT

Post by frastephen » Tue May 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Hello Group!

I am very new to the SDRplay world!

I am attempting to connect my RSP2Pro to the IF Output of my FTDX-3000 to serve as a panadapter.

I an attempting to use SDRUno.

I previously had set up OMNIRIG and it is working properly.

In the MAIN SETTINGS-->ORIG screen I have SET IF FREQUENCY to 9000000. And clicked ENABLE.

However, when I click on an amateur band ... say 40m. The Waterfall is showing the correct information about 85 kHz low. Then, when I tune the VFO on the FTDX3000 the waterfall moves up and down ... in the correct direction. So, when I tune 85 kHz down I hear the signal through the SDRPlay, but it reads 85 kHz low on the FTDX3000, with no signal heard (correctly).

I must be missing some setting.

I saw a reference in this forum to a Facebook page about the SDRPlay products as panadapters, but I am not a Facebook user.

I have done a wide search on Google and have found nothing that gives step-by-step instructions for setting this us, which seems odd. I am sure a LOT of folks have made this work.

SO ... if you can offer any help here I would be ever so grateful!

Steve

W3SMK
Last edited by frastephen on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

mikeladd

Re: FTDX3000 Panadapter using IF OUT

Post by mikeladd » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:10 am

Do not use the IF OUT. Use the RX out.
IF OUT has a very limited bandwidth.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4JDq3 ... _Zw/videos

Video #'s 11 & 12 cover the whole setup process.

frastephen

Post by frastephen » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi Mike!

MANY thanks for directing me to your excellent videos! They are really good! You seem to have a pretty reasonable noise floor, given where you live!!!!

I see your point about the advantage of using the RX OUT port. And I did get that working. I was a little concerned about the RF protection afforded by the RX OUT port ... Is it safe to use when transmitting?? I am assuming yes, and that you have observed no problems.

Having the additional bandwidth afforded by the RX Out is not a huge advantage for me, I think ... I am only using this in the (narrow) ham bands.

For all readers of this thread in the future, related to using the IF OUT port: I did get this to work well with SDR Console. There are excellent instructions in the SDR Console documentation, and it works well. It has a simple interface and display, which is more than sufficient for my needs and desires.

And, for everyone check out Mike's excellent video collection!!!!

73 to all!

Steve
W3SMK
Last edited by frastephen on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Neilcoley

Post by Neilcoley » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 am

Hello all

Followed mikes vid number 11 for FTdx 3000. Rsp1 and sdr uno.

Works ok but Omni rig status often goes offline to rig not responding

It can be ok for hours and then drop Out

Any suggestions are very welcome

Neil
Last edited by Neilcoley on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes it's 100% protected when using the RX or IF out. Apply the tweaks from this 3rd party PDF. Most likely the USB port is going into power save mode.
https://www.hamoperator.com/Fusion/Fusi ... F-0023.pdf

vk2icj

Post by vk2icj » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:01 am

I have a old Kenwood TS 870 but in a similar situation with similar connections both IF and EXT Ant. I'm using the EXT ANT and it is grounded on TX otherwise my RSPDuo would be fried but unless I tun the RF gain on SDRuno down to about 50% I get "OVERLOAD" warnings when keying up. At this low RF Gain setting I don't see many stations if any at all (In Australia it is very quiet these days) It sort of takes away from the usefulness if I have to turn the gain so low. What are others seeing when connected this way?

73 de vk2icj

Chris
Last edited by vk2icj on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
73 73 de vk2icj ..